Esteemed Contributor

Re: Such a difficult decision....

@sweetee2 wrote:

Why does it take so long to cook. My turkey is 25 lbs. And it only takes 2 1/2 hrs. Maybe it's because I use a turkey bag.

I use a cooking bag also.  It is hard to believe that a 25 lb turkey takes only 15-30 minutes more than my 14 lb turkey.  I would have to cook it longer to feel comfortable eating it!

Trusted Contributor

No decision for me -- I opted not to cook this year and instead Cracker Barrel catering is taking care of it! 

Respected Contributor

The only reason I would cook a turkey overnight is if I was planning to have it for breakfast.

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

Why does it take so long to cook. My turkey is 25 lbs. And it only takes 2 1/2 hrs. Maybe it's because I use a turkey bag.

2.5 hours for a 25lb turkey.  I never had a turkey like that.  Mine is 15lbs and the directions saud 5 hrs which is what I would have thought anyway.  I put it in at 7am. 
Honored Contributor

Back in the 60's and 70's, my mom always cooked the turkey low and slow.   She also basted the turkey as it cooked; I never have, nor intend to.   

I cook a whole turkey in a covered roaster with boiling water at 500 degrees for 1 hour, then turn the oven off and leave it alone to cool down for about 5 hours.   

These days I only cook turkey breasts for my family of 4.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Back in the 60's and 70's, my mom always cooked the turkey low and slow.   She also basted the turkey as it cooked; I never have, nor intend to.   

I cook a whole turkey in a covered roaster with boiling water at 500 degrees for 1 hour, then turn the oven off and leave it alone to cool down for about 5 hours.   

These days I only cook turkey breasts for my family of 4.  

I have never seen that method of cooking a turkey.  Does it brown?   I am flabbergasted.   I remembery my mom and my grandmother roasting the bird all night, of course, they were cooking 30lb turkeys and they made everything from scratch.  So, they'd be up cutting and dicing and mashing.  My grandparents lived upstairs from us, so there were two ovens going.  They probably got about 4 hrs of sleep.   I always cooked my turkeys in a disposable aluminum pan with aluminium foil draped over them for all but the final hour, when I take off the foil and let it brown. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't even use a turkey bag and our 24-pounder was done in a little over 3 hours. 30 minutes in the oven at 500 degrees, then transfer to the Nesco roaster at 375 degrees for 3 hours. It's always done, nice and juicy. 20 minutes rest and then it's ready to be carved. Maybe it's because I don't stuff the turkey? Or because I brine it overnight? I check it with a thermometer to make sure it's done perfectly.

My mother used to get up at the crack of dawn to put her turkey in the oven for a 2:00 dinner! When I got married and started to cook, she was aghast that I didn't do that. But my turkeys are always done, never under-cooked and I don't have to get up at 6:00 in the morning.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@sweetee2 wrote:

Wow 2 1/2 hours doesn't seem near enough time for a 25lb. turkey! Did you insert a thermometer? We celebrated Thanksgiving last Saturday with our whole family. I had a 20 lb. stuffed fresh turkey and it took exactly 5 hours!

I always cook a turkey 20 min a pound so a 25 pound would take about 8 hours. 

Honored Contributor

I do 325 degrees, a bag and stuffed.  This makes the turkey incredibly moist even when cold!