Honored Contributor

p.s.  Re: 3 tier hanging baskets.

I suggest finding one that has a wide area in the bottom basket.  Larger circumference.  So you can spread out the potatoes, more or less.  

The more airy area, the better.

Check out Walmart, Amazon, etc.

I have a nice one from World Market. Had it for years.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

basket stand.png

this is what i use in my garage.....i have several of them for potatoes, onions, citrus, fruits, and other items

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Re: Storing Potatoes

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

I stopped buying 5lb bags of potatos mainly because if I don't use them w/in week they rot🤷‍♀️

I think it's our crappy food store Publix (our area) because they put in freezer/cooler and they don't sell quickly.  

I agree with you about Publix potatoes. I always removed them from the plastic bag and stored them in a dark spot and but noticed a while ago that I would have "eyes" growing in them in just a couple days. I have never seen anything like it, and I've been cooking potatoes for a long, long time!

Lately we have been getting our groceries online from the pickup at WalMart and have never had the same problem with their potatoes. Yet. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

basket stand.png

this is what i use in my garage.....i have several of them for potatoes, onions, citrus, fruits, and other items

That is very nice!  I likey.  Smiley Happy  MIght search that one.  

Honored Contributor

Right now there's 100 lbs of potatoes in the coolest, dark corner of my garage, laid out on stacked plastic bread racks with good air flow.   Potatoes and onions should never be stored near each other.  Both should be removed from store packaging, and should not be touching.   The weight and moisture causes deterioration and rot.   

Honored Contributor

I keep mine in a storage bin in the refrigerator, but since it is just myself and hubby I no longer buy 5lb bags, usually 3lb bags or sometimes just maybe 5 or 6 at a time.....They seem to last pretty long in the refrigerator! 

Honored Contributor

I buy a lot of potatoes and onions.  I keep them stored separate in large wicker baskets    on a pantry shelf in my basement.

I also kept a few in my kitchen on a wall in a small space between my cupboards and the wall.  I have two bags that are made for this purpose.  That keeps me from having to run to the basement all of the time.  Th bags have a draw spring at the top and the bottom.  

They work great.

39C15013-53FC-4C2F-A4AF-9EE773CB244B.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Happy2BHere 

My friends have told me to buy at WM because not only are they $2.97/5 lbs but don't rot after a few days.  I wonder because they sell faster🤷‍♀️

I don't use them a lot but I will buy at WM if I need bag.

Esteemed Contributor

@godi wrote:

I only buy what we need it's just two of us and I would never use that many potatoes before they rotted. Has anyone noticed how bananas don't last anymore? I buy them and they rot so fast.  Is it my house? 🤣

@godi   Bananas..........yes, don't know what they are doing with them these days.  I am not a big fan of bananas, so only buy one at a time.  Bought one yesterday, looked fine at the time.  Went to eat it a couple of hours later and already had big black spots on it.  Not your house Smiley Happy.

Esteemed Contributor

Yukon gold......I keep mine in the fridge.  They seem to have a sweeter taste.