Honored Contributor

I keep mine in the refrigerator.  They seem to last longer for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Refrigerator. Lasts for several weeks, no problems.

@godiI don't know why it has never occurred to me to only buy what I would use in the week. I've never noticed goldens, though, selling by the piece. Anyway, we don't do potatoes very often.

Respected Contributor

Re: Storing Potatoes

[ Edited ]

I don't care what the "experts" say against storing potatoes in the fridge, which they claim has something to do with altering  the potato's starch.

I store mine in the fridge vegetable bin and they stay useful for a long time.  No smells, no spoilage, even after two weeks and maybe more.  I never buy more than 2-3 pounds at a time, however.

Rats or mice in my garage or anywhere near my house would freak me out and put our neighborhood pest control company on speed dial for me and all of my neighbors!

Esteemed Contributor

So many of the potatoes that I have puchased as of late have gone bad or taste offl

It seems they are still selling last years crop.

Trusted Contributor

Items similar to Reclaimed 1890s Wood Vegetable Bin ...

We have something similar to this, works great. 

Esteemed Contributor

I keep mine in a a crock that sits on my kitchen floor.  I keep my kitchen pretty cool and they normally last a good 3 weeks but I may give the fridge a try.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I am not a big potato eater; but, when I get them, I have a Pioneer Woman potato cannister, which is pretty and perfect.  It holds up to 5 pounds of potatoes.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Wow, I'll have to look up that potato canister, I haven't seen one of those.  I keep mine on top of my garage refrigerator in the winter and in the summer months in the vegetable drawer in the fridge.

Honored Contributor

'For sure', take them out of the plastic.

I know I'm not supposed to store in fridge, but I have been doing this for years.  Spread out.

Also, if storing anywhere else, in a cool, dry spot, try hanging them in one of those 3-tier hanging baskets.  Good air circulation.  But, make sure it's a cool, dark-ish dry area. 

Those 3 tier hanging baskets are great for storing other vegetables such as round onions, etc.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I don't buy them pre-bagged, rather I choose how many I need as my needs are fairly small.

I wouldn't put them in the refrigerator.    What I've always heard is that refrigerating them converts the starch to sugar.   But the thing is, the body does that also upon consumption.  So, unless that changes the ability to make them do what you want in cooking, I suppose that doesn't matter.  But I still don't.  Smiley Happy

What I do is put mine on top of the washing machine.  It's away from any hot spots and it's pretty dark and cool in there, plus it's right next to the garage.   

I lay them out with the plastic produce bag open as wide open as possible so they are just more sitting atop the bag than anything.  That's always worked well but I can't think of a scenario where I have stored them for more than a week or two.  I don't live in a traditionally humid climate so I think that's also helpful.