Honored Contributor

Re: Still Buying Fiestaware (aka Fiestaware thread, Part 2)

Fiesta Fiestaware Millennium III Chartreuse VaseFiesta, Fiestaware, Guaranteed Vintage Chartreuse 8 1/2

Kutira the first photo is newer chartreuse the last is vintage (1950-1959)

the vintage charteuse is not the best picture/

Trusted Contributor

meezer, I love the snowman; it is so cute!!

shoekitty, I have been collecting fiesta long enough to have been shopping when chartreuse was reintroduced. I don't like the vintage pieces. I was so overwhelmed with all the sapphire and lilac I received at the time, I only bought a few pieces of chartreuse back then. I have since been buying a few additional pieces; I just love the old cappuccino or latte mugs (I know one was skinnier with more of a V shape--that's what I now own 4 of.) Since I don't entertain at my current tiny apartment, I really don't need a lot but I realize those things will eventually be gone, so I'm still hunting.

1Professor, your taste also sounds a lot like mine, but without the taupe. I had a gorgeous condo accented with reds and blues. I was lucky enough to receive a LOT of sapphire and some lilac from my rich brother as a housewarming gift. I had already bought my own place settings in turquoise. I discovered peacock later and have added it to my collection and am now panicked since it's being discontinued. I hope to buy a new gorgeous condo in the spring and am planning to use more of my new fiesta pieces.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Respected Contributor

I was on Macy's site checking out their sale on Fiesta and found this set. It is called Fiesta Mixed Colors Entertaining Set and retails for $58.00, now on sale for $39.99. I can't quite figure out the advantage of this set because the pieces are offered individually. I broke down the price and came up with: 1 bread tray and 3 individual bouillon bowls would retail for $56.50. On sale, the four individual pieces would cost $38.46. When you purchase separately not only is it a little less money, but you get to pick the colors you want which to me is a major advantage. Am I missing something here with HL's new offering?

Trusted Contributor

3d: How diligent of you to do your math and come up with a better deal than what was offered. I agree with you---buying the pieces separately enable you to pick the colors you want. I'm just thinking this might be convenient for purchasers who are just beginning and are somewhat reluctant to mix colors on their own. I do think this configuration would be useful for a buffet. What other ideas do you have?

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Respected Contributor

On 1/3/2015 3dlovely said:

I was on Macy's site checking out their sale on Fiesta and found this set. It is called Fiesta Mixed Colors Entertaining Set and retails for $58.00, now on sale for $39.99. I can't quite figure out the advantage of this set because the pieces are offered individually. I broke down the price and came up with: 1 bread tray and 3 individual bouillon bowls would retail for $56.50. On sale, the four individual pieces would cost $38.46. When you purchase separately not only is it a little less money, but you get to pick the colors you want which to me is a major advantage. Am I missing something here with HL's new offering?

3d--thanks for posting the pictures of the Omni trays in the 15" baking pan. I am going to agree with all of the other Fiesta ladies that HL needs to design a tray to hold the Omni trays and it should have an edge/handle similar to the vintage model. The 13" baking tray just won't cut it. Also, as I posted in #55, HL discontinued the 13" tray so that would allow them to introduce another tray that could be used for the Omni trays as well as being used as a baker. I know that I would buy it if it had handles or an edge.

I had seen the picture that you posted of the bread tray and 3 bouillon bowls on Macy's site earlier and didn't really understand what a person was suppose to do with it. Both you and Wismiss are right--a person could do better buying the individual pieces from Kohls (for example) and at least get the colors that go with their other Fiesta. This was the same issue with the Omni tray/hostess set. HL picked the colors and if you didn't like them, too bad. At least they listened to their loyal customers and started making the trays in a variety of colors.

I am not sure what you could do with the unless it held a variety of sauces or condiments but I would think that the bowls might be too small ( I am not sure about that since I don't own a bouillon bowl). For example, if the bowls had salad dressings or toppings, wouldn't the bowl be too small for a party?

It might have been better to contrive a set that held bowls with matching small spoons like my mother's set from the 50's. She had glass condiment bowls (Candlewick) with little glass spoons for serving. It would be very cute to have little matching serving spoons for little hostess bowls. They could be similar to the ramekin and spreader dip set except it would be a bouillon bowl with a matching small spoon.

Respected Contributor

This is a stock picture of Candlewick from the 50's. It is a picture of a condiment server with a small glass spoon. I was thinking that something like this made in Fiesta and in the Fiesta style with a small spoon with the ability to use different plates/trays would be wonderful for entertaining. You could use the bread tray like they did in the Macy's picture and put several of the Fiesta condiment jars/bowls on it. Or 1 Fiesta condiment jar, crackers or appetizers that would need a condiment on the square tray or a plate or the retired cake plate or retired hostess tray. It could be very neat and I know that I would have to have some in several colors.

Honored Contributor

meezer

I love candlewick. My mom has a few pieces. I think one is a bowl, for bridge mix or something small. The other are dessert plates. It is so elegant. personally, I don't think most businesses have the craftsmanship to put those ball thingies on. At least for a fair price! I think it is a great idea though.

3d

I totally agree about the pricing on some items. I bought that bread tray at that discount place we shopped at. What was the name?? dishesfast?? I think I paid 8.99. I have never paid more than 3.99 for bouillon bowls. So 3 bowls would be about 12 bucks, add the tray for for even 12 bucks on sale. That is about 22 bucks. Does anyone here ever buy Fiesta at full price? I never have, even at HL.

I have even seen a set of Fiesta glasses (4) for a certain price, when they have the glasses by the each on sale for several dollars less. Can't get anything by us Fiestanistas

Kutira

You have the Holy Grail of Fiesta..Sapphire and Lilac. Who knew how coveted these would be/

Respected Contributor

Shoekitty--my mother had a lot of Candlewick, mostly things that a hostess would use like candy dishes, appetizer trays, bread plates, dessert plates and condiment dishes. I got them out this past Christmas and used them when we hosted a family luncheon. Lots of fun and lots of memories of days long past. I remember her parties (that we kids were not allowed to attend) for my parents' friends. I remember her luncheon ladies, who met at each other's houses once a month while the kids were in school. It seems like now, many people whip out foam or plastic throw-away stuff--no elegance at all.

Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2015 meezerpleezer said:

Shoekitty--my mother had a lot of Candlewick, mostly things that a hostess would use like candy dishes, appetizer trays, bread plates, dessert plates and condiment dishes. I got them out this past Christmas and used them when we hosted a family luncheon. Lots of fun and lots of memories of days long past. I remember her parties (that we kids were not allowed to attend) for my parents' friends. I remember her luncheon ladies, who met at each other's houses once a month while the kids were in school. It seems like now, many people whip out foam or plastic throw-away stuff--no elegance at all.

I have a vivid memory of a candlewick butter dih someone had. I remember seeing it, and thinking the glass ball things around the edge were so pretty like diamonds. Clear, thick,glass, especially when new, has a dazzling effects. It catches the light, and seems so elegant!

It was like this, but maybe clear on top with a big finial!

Imperial Glass Ohio CANDLEWICK CLEAR (STEM #3400) Butter Dish 236740 Meezer, I love this cobalt dish!!Cobalt Blue glass candlewick pattern candy dish / nappy soap jam tip tray bowl

Contributor

Hi I have been not posting or reading for a while due to work. Glad I found this and that everyone is still here! Happy New Year!