Respected Contributor

Re: Smithfield Farms Closing

@KatieB wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

As if those plant workers could not have been better protected.  Talk about being sent in for slaughter.  Sheer resistance to a known issue.

@Free2be   Are you blaming the plant workers???? 

The governor won't put in a stay at home order - says the state doesn't need one....  No need to have one - no big outbreaks...

Sounds like she's blaming the company for not protecting the employees, not the employees. 

Yes, the Governor is failing, but he's not the one in charge of the plant and he's not the only elected official in the state. When the governor in my state was slow to act, the city and county officials stepped up and acted weeks before the Governor. And business owners don't need to wait for any elected official to make changes to keep their workers safe.

Many people played a role in this failure.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I heard it was going to close for 3 days for a complete cleaning.

I'd anticipate longer, but I don't know how they're testing. If they had over 240 workers test positive, that means those workers exposed everyone they came into contact with, both at work, at home, and in the community. Someone who tested negative today may still test positive in a few days and start the whole process over again.

The first report said 14 days, a second I read send "indefinitely," and now it's 3 days. 

All I can say is that it seems like they had no plan and don't know what to do.

Occasional Contributor

China had no choice but to kill all their hogs due to a "bug" of some kind that was in their hogs.This was announced before the coronavirus ordeal.They have no choice but to import their pork at this time.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed their Easter hams yesterday.

@ValuSkr 

LOL!!! No. DH wanted fried chicken. We have not had that in a long time. It sure was good.

Honored Contributor

Would you eat anything from them,.knowing so many tested positive for this virus?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

Get ready we are seeing more than Smithfield to stop yes stock up. Don't just blame them we will see lack of chicken also. Wish i have extra freezer we are not done. Meat will be scarced. Also canned goods. It's coming. stock up if u can. We will not see hope til sept.if they get a cure for this virus if not we still stay inside. yep it's a long time. 

@sissel 

They are already saying social distancing til at least 2022. 

They won't have a vaccine for this for years.

We have a freezer in the garage.  

They are telling people there will not be a shortage. 

Why do you think we will see hope in Sept? Thought they were talking about another round this fall?

Occasional Contributor

There is medication for this virus that is not being stressed enough which is amazing to me. The cure has been cited publically as hydroxychloraquine + Z pac + zinc. Upon fever of 100.4, call ahead, either to Dr's ofc or hospital, stay in car, get checked there, they call in the medicine, you go home and get well. That's how it is in Texas and how it's been from the beginning.Our governor secured the doses for us and it is now known, the ventilators are doing more harm than good for most patients. This med is 60 years old and is FDA approved.It's good for Lupus,Malaria, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. It's sold under another name starting with a "P".

It is an over the counter med in the United Kingdom.It is said Lupus patients do not get the bug who are on this medication and that's how a family Dr. discovered this.

Also, the CDC requires all deaths, regardless of cause, to be recorded as "CV".I do not know anybody who has this virus or has been diagnosed or treated for this virus.All I know is what is being said on television.Texans have been instructed what to do if we have any fever of 100.4 or above.That's all I know about it.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

One problem with this thread is the poorly worded title indicating that an entire huge pork producing firm is "closing." .......or going out of business.......or  whatever anyone can dream up.

This leads to a series of posts from people who would rather jump to conclusions than read the facts.

Interested people can go to at least one source with several stories about the current situation regarding our meat-supplying industries and dangers of a shortage........check out the website of Bloomberg News.

@novamc1 

I thought I heard them say 5% of the pork comes out of that Smithfield plant. I have no idea where all these plants are located or how many there are.

DH will ask the meat market owner tomorrow what his thoughts are about shortages & what to expect.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz 

On the SmithfieldFoods.com website, a map shows all their company's sites in the U.S., the UK,  and elsewhere in Europe.

And you're right according to reports I've seen.....the South Dakota plant that has been closed accounts for about 5 percent of the company's pork business. 

It's a much bigger company than just that plant in South Dakota, apparently.

And despite the title on this thread,  the correct name is Smithfield Foods....not Smithfield Farms.

Respected Contributor

@catnip714 wrote:

There is medication for this virus that is not being stressed enough which is amazing to me. The cure has been cited publically as hydroxychloraquine + Z pac + zinc. Upon fever of 100.4, call ahead, either to Dr's ofc or hospital, stay in car, get checked there, they call in the medicine, you go home and get well. That's how it is in Texas and how it's been from the beginning.Our governor secured the doses for us and it is now known, the ventilators are doing more harm than good for most patients. This med is 60 years old and is FDA approved.It's good for Lupus,Malaria, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. It's sold under another name starting with a "P".

It is an over the counter med in the United Kingdom.It is said Lupus patients do not get the bug who are on this medication and that's how a family Dr. discovered this.

Also, the CDC requires all deaths, regardless of cause, to be recorded as "CV".I do not know anybody who has this virus or has been diagnosed or treated for this virus.All I know is what is being said on television.Texans have been instructed what to do if we have any fever of 100.4 or above.That's all I know about it.

are you for real?  #45 is convinced its a miracle cure. anecdotal evidence at best.