Honored Contributor

Re: Smithfield Farms Closing

@catnip714 wrote:

China had no choice but to kill all their hogs due to a "bug" of some kind that was in their hogs.This was announced before the coronavirus ordeal.They have no choice but to import their pork at this time.

@catnip714 

Well they cannot have it. We get ours first. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@catnip714 wrote:

China had no choice but to kill all their hogs due to a "bug" of some kind that was in their hogs.This was announced before the coronavirus ordeal.They have no choice but to import their pork at this time.

@catnip714 

Well they cannot have it. We get ours first. LOL!!!

Im disgusted with Chinese "bugs, toxins, neuro-toxins, bacteria etc.   There is a reason everything is so cheap there - they cut corners.   Folks always check the country of origin when purchasing foods.  Many shrimp and fish come from polluted Chinese waters. Americans are more concerned with the price tag than the quality of food they ingest.  Scary.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

As if those plant workers could not have been better protected.  Talk about being sent in for slaughter.  Sheer resistance to a known issue.

@Free2be   Are you blaming the plant workers???? 

The governor won't put in a stay at home order - says the state doesn't need one....  No need to have one - no big outbreaks...

Sounds like she's blaming the company for not protecting the employees, not the employees. 

Yes, the Governor is failing, but he's not the one in charge of the plant and he's not the only elected official in the state. When the governor in my state was slow to act, the city and county officials stepped up and acted weeks before the Governor. And business owners don't need to wait for any elected official to make changes to keep their workers safe.

Many people played a role in this failure.

@Alison Wonderland 

The 'he' you're talking about is a she..   And she is not the only elected official - the mayor of the town the plant is in practically begged for a stay at home ordinance for the state and his town- it fell on deaf ears (the governor's ears)..   

I don't think I would be defending a governor like this one.  She says that there's no problem in the state.    By the way, her name is Kristi Noem.

And who are the 'many people who played a role in this failure'.

Respected Contributor

@catnip714 wrote:

There is medication for this virus that is not being stressed enough which is amazing to me. The cure has been cited publically as hydroxychloraquine + Z pac + zinc. Upon fever of 100.4, call ahead, either to Dr's ofc or hospital, stay in car, get checked there, they call in the medicine, you go home and get well. That's how it is in Texas and how it's been from the beginning.Our governor secured the doses for us and it is now known, the ventilators are doing more harm than good for most patients. This med is 60 years old and is FDA approved.It's good for Lupus,Malaria, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. It's sold under another name starting with a "P".

It is an over the counter med in the United Kingdom.It is said Lupus patients do not get the bug who are on this medication and that's how a family Dr. discovered this.

Also, the CDC requires all deaths, regardless of cause, to be recorded as "CV".I do not know anybody who has this virus or has been diagnosed or treated for this virus.All I know is what is being said on television.Texans have been instructed what to do if we have any fever of 100.4 or above.That's all I know about it.

@catnip714   As of today, 04/15/2020, there is no FDA approved medication for COVID-19.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

As if those plant workers could not have been better protected.  Talk about being sent in for slaughter.  Sheer resistance to a known issue.

The governor won't put in a stay at home order - says the state doesn't need one....  No need to have one - no big outbreaks...

Sounds like she's blaming the company for not protecting the employees, not the employees. 

Yes, the Governor is failing, but he's not the one in charge of the plant and he's not the only elected official in the state. When the governor in my state was slow to act, the city and county officials stepped up and acted weeks before the Governor. And business owners don't need to wait for any elected official to make changes to keep their workers safe.

@Alison Wonderland 

The 'he' you're talking about is a she..   And she is not the only elected official - the mayor of the town the plant is in practically begged for a stay at home ordinance for the state and his town- it fell on deaf ears (the governor's ears)..   

I don't think I would be defending a governor like this one.  She says that there's no problem in the state.    By the way, her name is Kristi Noem.

I didn't defend anyone and already explained who the "many people" are, but I can be more explicit for you: The governor, the county officials, the city officials, and the business owners. None of the others needed to wait for the governor and they all share blame in this.

The mayors and county officials in my state didn't wait around for our own do-nothing governor. Our mayor canceled a huge festival way back on March 6, which prevented nearly 300,000 people from all over the world from gathering downtown for two weeks. Then the county judge and mayor worked together to impose a shelter-in-place order weeks before the governor did anything.

Smithfield likely could have done more to protect workers, as well and no private business needs to wait on a governor to tell them how to act.

The governor is not the only person who could have acted to prevent the virus spread. I'm not defending her, I'm simply not putting all of the blame on her. Why is she the only person you want to hold accountable?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

@Alison Wonderland 

I didn't defend anyone and already explained who the "many people" are, but I can be more explicit for you: The governor, the county officials, the city officials, and the business owners. None of the others needed to wait for the governor and they all share blame in this.

The mayors and county officials in my state didn't wait around for our own do-nothing governor. Our mayor canceled a huge festival way back on March 6, which prevented nearly 300,000 people from all over the world from gathering downtown for two weeks. Then the county judge and mayor worked together to impose a shelter-in-place order weeks before the governor did anything.

Smithfield likely could have done more to protect workers, as well and no private business needs to wait on a governor to tell them how to act.

The governor is not the only person who could have acted to prevent the virus spread. I'm not defending her, I'm simply not putting all of the blame on her. Why is she the only person you want to hold accountable?

Because she is the only one accountable for the state she represents.. Like I stated the mayor of the town the Smithfield plant is located in begged for a state wide ordinance.  Governor said a stay at home order was not necessary - no need for one for SD.

So far, 55% of the known COVID-19 infected people in SD are associated with the Smithfield plant.  I just read that the SD Smithfield plant is the number one hotspot for COVID-19 in the US.

Respected Contributor

Good Morning America had a segment on possible pork shortages today.  Many of us take for granted the supply chain....  from the slaughter house workers to the plant processors to the truckers and grocery store workers. 

I contacted Ray Rastelli today and waiting to hear back if his supply chain is affected. Very scary times. Lets hope that the meat supply does not become limited.

Esteemed Contributor

@catnip714 wrote:

There is medication for this virus that is not being stressed enough which is amazing to me. The cure has been cited publically as hydroxychloraquine + Z pac + zinc. Upon fever of 100.4, call ahead, either to Dr's ofc or hospital, stay in car, get checked there, they call in the medicine, you go home and get well. That's how it is in Texas and how it's been from the beginning.Our governor secured the doses for us and it is now known, the ventilators are doing more harm than good for most patients. This med is 60 years old and is FDA approved.It's good for Lupus,Malaria, and Rheumatoid Arthritis. It's sold under another name starting with a "P".

It is an over the counter med in the United Kingdom.It is said Lupus patients do not get the bug who are on this medication and that's how a family Dr. discovered this.

Also, the CDC requires all deaths, regardless of cause, to be recorded as "CV".I do not know anybody who has this virus or has been diagnosed or treated for this virus.All I know is what is being said on television.Texans have been instructed what to do if we have any fever of 100.4 or above.That's all I know about it.

@catnip714 

So the 364 Texans who have died from COVID19 just didn’t know what you know? 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett