Honored Contributor

We were just discussing Smithfield Farms on a thread a day or two ago.  Today they announced they are closing their plant because so many employees are ill with CoVi19.  They warn that the Nation's meat supply is in peril.

"The closure of this facility, combined with a growing list of other protein plants that have shuttered across our industry, is pushing our country perilously close to the edge in terms of our meat supply," the meat processor's chief executive, Kenneth Sullivan, said in a statement Sunday

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

Re: Smithfield Farms Closing

I am pretty sure this company is owned by China now.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I've read, Smithfield Farms has been purchased by a company in China. Please, let's not jump to conclusions here. Not all of our food products come from them. I'm a bit offended that a company would make such a "warning". Why would Smithfield have sold out to a China company in the first place, and why would they now make such a dire warning? I haven't bought a Smithfield product for months and I will continue that. We still have meat products that are raised and processed here.

Honored Contributor

@bushis wrote:

yes, it is, but the plant is in the USA, the workers are in the USA, and so are the farmers who supply the meat in the USA!

it has also caused a freefall in hog futures.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

by the way, that buyout happened back in 2013.....nothing new.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

That particular plant is located in South Dakota.  The Gov. was allowing people to use their judgement as to the virus. Over 80 workers were confirmed to have the virus.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@bushis wrote:

yes, it is, but the plant is in the USA, the workers are in the USA, and so are the farmers who supply the meat in the USA!

it has also caused a freefall in hog futures.

Holee Smokes! Pork bellies have tanked -47% in 5 days

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

From what I've read, Smithfield Farms has been purchased by a company in China. Please, let's not jump to conclusions here. Not all of our food products come from them. I'm a bit offended that a company would make such a "warning". Why would Smithfield have sold out to a China company in the first place, and why would they now make such a dire warning? I haven't bought a Smithfield product for months and I will continue that. We still have meat products that are raised and processed here.

@jannabelle1    When Smithfield was American-owned, it was a total disaster.  Seemed for a time like there was an exposé about it every other week.  Filthy, deplorable conditions where the hogs were raised.

The Chinese bought it and cleaned it up.  The hogs are raised in the US and all processing is done here.  They make a plethora of meat products.

I think we need to start listening to and heeding dire warnings for a change.  Read the full story on the CNN website.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

That particular plant is located in South Dakota.  The Gov. was allowing people to use their judgement as to the virus. Over 80 workers were confirmed to have the virus.

@qbetzforreal    Would you believe 240 cases in this plant?  over half of all employees.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@qbetzforreal    Would you believe 240 cases in this plant?  over half of all employees.

@Kachina624 

actually, the plant employs 3700 people. the 240 cases within the plant represent half of the total covid19 cases in that county of south dakota.