Trusted Contributor

Re: Smithfield Farms Closing

Didn't "someone" just unregulate pork plants? Or maybe they're regulating themselves, something like that... I decided then that I wouldn't buy any pork from any large plants.

It's difficult to trust anything lately.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

That particular plant is located in South Dakota.  The Gov. was allowing people to use their judgement as to the virus. Over 80 workers were confirmed to have the virus.

@qbetzforreal    Would you believe 240 cases in this plant?  over half of all employees.

Shoekitty said:  seems like their "judgement" proved not to be very good.  Although, I blame the Governor...this was his poor call.   The workers needed the money

Honored Contributor

There are a couple of meat processing and meat packaging plants here in PA that are now closed because some of their employees have COVID 19.

There are "heads up" warnings that this will Impact the food supply. It,is happening in many food processing facilities.

Respected Contributor

I live in Westchester County in New York.  Many of the meat, produce, fish suppliers to restaurants in our metropolitan area are losing a tremendous amount of business since the restaurants are closed.  Now many of these suppliers are now allowing people to buy from them and they will deliver.  We have a Next Door group in my area with information that is shared and today a fish supplier to restaurants is now willing to deliver to people's homes.  It has been on our local news and these companies are re hiring their workers.

Honored Contributor

@stellabystarlight wrote:

I live in Westchester County in New York.  Many of the meat, produce, fish suppliers to restaurants in our metropolitan area are losing a tremendous amount of business since the restaurants are closed.  Now many of these suppliers are now allowing people to buy from them and they will deliver.  We have a Next Door group in my area with information that is shared and today a fish supplier to restaurants is now willing to deliver to people's homes.  It has been on our local news and these companies are re hiring their workers.

@stellabystarlight 

that has been going around in the baltimore area also. this past weekend one of our favorite restaurants was having their steak wholesaler at their restaurant to sell high quality steaks and other proteins in bundles.

some restaurants that cannot stay in business doing carry out and delivery are selling proteins and other items AND they have their bartenders at work to sell to go cocktails.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@bushis wrote:

I am pretty sure this company is owned by China now.

@bushis   .... yes, it is owned by China for a few years now....I would never buy anything from Smithfield ....  I hope all companies in China close for good!!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

With all the interest in Smithfield Foods, headquartered in the U.S. Commonwealth of  Virginia,  it seems that critics would  be interested in learning more about the company than just its China connection. 

The company website shows locations of its operations in the U.S. and Europe, and shows photos of  its very top executives.  Not a Chinese location or an obvious Asian executive appears among the whole bunch.  

A Chinese company helped Smithfield through a difficult financial time by buying it, motivated by the growing demand for pork among Chinese consumers.

Smithfield pork is EXPORTED to China, not imported.

If the  "world's largest pork  producer and processor" ever shuts down, the food supply of many countries (especially ours) would be affected.

Smithfield's tens of thousands of  employees  and farmers would be thrown out of work.  One of  our lowest-cost sources of protein would become scarcer and more expensive.

And, most horrific of all, die-hard pork fans would have more limited choices when shopping for their beloved  bacon, hot dogs, sausage, hams, pork chops, pork roasts and that delicious Southern barbecue.

Be careful about what you wish for!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone who has ever been within a half-mile of a poultry processing plant might never touch  eggs,  chicken or turkey again, either.

Pick your protein poison or live out of your own vegetable garden.

Respected Contributor

Just heard on CNBC that the South Dakota Smithfield plant represents about 5 percent of the company's business. 

That's not a huge chunk but as the virus takes hold in new places and new food companies (and now happening among grocery store workers)..........who knows what the  economic and health results will be when it comes to our food?

Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@bushis wrote:

I am pretty sure this company is owned by China now.

@bushis   .... yes, it is owned by China for a few years now....I would never buy anything from Smithfield ....  I hope all companies in China close for good!!!!

@January121, that's like hoping that a huge asteroid decimates our planet right now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland