Trusted Contributor

Slow Cooker Purchase, Manuel or Programmable?

I am in the market for a 6 qt. slow cooker and have been reading reviews for the major brands.  I have never used a slow cooker and have no experience with the different brands.

It seems like every single programmable slow cooker has negative reviews.  The glass lid shatters for no reason, the heating element melts the cooker, the low setting burns the food, the cooker stops working after two uses, the nonstick surface on the insert peels off, on and on.

However, the manual (dial) slow cookers seem to have good reviews. 

Has anyone recently purchased a slow cooker, either programmable or manual, and had good luck with it?  If so, would you share the make and model?  

I don't need a fancy slow cooker that sears and sautes and does the dishes for me, I just want a reliable basic slow cooker.  TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Slow Cooker Purchase, Manuel or Programmable?

[ Edited ]

Personally, the programmable I bought from Crock Pot didn't have "delayed start".  Foods definately have a best time before being over done.

I got a big manual and used a plug in lamp timer so I could get that delayed start.

Foods cook through, and it's safe for them to sit in the crock a few hours without heat.

Respected Contributor

I am looking for a new crock pot too.  A replacement of my Rival Crock Pot that I've had for nearly 20 years.  The handle on mine keeps coming off.  My husband has glued it many times and that doesn't work anymore.  What I like about the crock pot I have now is that I have I have the option to cook on Low for 4-6 hours or on High for 8-10 hours.  Once that time is up, it automatically goes to warm (or I can just choose warm to heat leftovers or something).  I do not want a programable one.  Just want to be able to turn it on and off but I can't find one like I have.  

Respected Contributor

I tend to prefer simple, no frills sort of appliances.  I have a 4 qt. Hamilton Beach with minimal features and it serves me well.  I have a dial control with Off, Low and High.

Crock Pot or HB are brand sold in big box stores.  Try one and see how tou like it with minimum cost.  

Honored Contributor

I recently purchased K49973, it is a 6Qt. manual from Zakarian. I have only used it a few times, but it has worked well. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I have a simple programmable 6 quart crock pot by Corning. I got it from QVC about 15 years ago.It's not fancy with a lot of options. I tap the button to adjust the number of hours I want the food to cook.Then I tap the on button.That's it.When it's done cooking it automatically switches to keep warm.

I absolutely love it. It's oval shaped with a beautiful removable ceramic insert.I can put it directly onto the table.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG ,

What a great idea using a lamp timer!  Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Only manual for me. The crockpot programmable stopped working after a few months. One time when I left for the day with beef stew in it. It sat on my counter all day never cooked. I had to throw it all out. The second time did it with a roast and veggies. Had to throw it out. Never again only manual for me. 

Honored Contributor

@River Song wrote:

@ECBG ,

What a great idea using a lamp timer!  Woman Happy

@River Song 

Thank you!  Necessity is the mother of invention!Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 ,

I saw the Zakarian brand but had never heard of it.  I will keep it in mind,  Thanks!