Honored Contributor

Re: Seasonings or seasoning blends you use the most

I'll add we had a big herb garden at our last house and now we have a big garden of herbs in pots!  I can't wait until it gets warm enough for basil (we grow LOTS), chives, sage, rosemary (LOVE it!), mint, thyme.

If you haven't tried growing herbs, the are beautiful and so great to have in pots even.  

The freezes killed all of our rosemary plants in 2021, and last summer there were NO rosemary plants in the garden shops and we couldn't get it to grow from seed.  We were very unhappy about that! 

Trusted Contributor

I use a lot of italian seasoning and garlic pepper!

I really go through a lot of tumeric -- I make 'golden milk' lattes that call for tumeric, cinnamon, ginger and black pepper.

Honored Contributor

I rarely use a blend, there's usually an ingredient I don't like.

We pretty much eat the same spices all the time so I just buy individually & mix & match.  

But we love McCormick's Grillmates Bourbon Brown Sugar.  I make a marinade with it.   I like to use boneless pork chops, then cook in the air fryer.   It's also good with chicken.   Everyone loves it.

Respected Contributor

Rockerbox Sweet Corn Rub on sliced, roasted yellow squash topped with cheese and Montreal Steak Seasoning. 

Capture.JPG

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

on perch,tilapia, & cod I like Mrs. Dash's lemon/pepper .

smoked paprika

a lot of garlic & onion powder

my favorite chilli powder is Mexene= the best. I have not been able to find it in stock lately. I see it on Amazon I may order from there. 

I love the Kuhn Rikon (?) grinders with the rachet top for salt and pepper-- so easy. DH can cover his food with pepper that he loves so.

Esteemed Contributor

I use very few blends....Poultry Seasoning and Italian Seasoning are about the only ones I can think of.  I have quite a variety of Herbs/Spices and just use my own to make a blend.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Morton's Reduced Salt Nature's Seasoning

Badia Complete Seasoning

Zatarain's Garlic and Herb

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I'll add we had a big herb garden at our last house and now we have a big garden of herbs in pots!  I can't wait until it gets warm enough for basil (we grow LOTS), chives, sage, rosemary (LOVE it!), mint, thyme.

If you haven't tried growing herbs, the are beautiful and so great to have in pots even.  

The freezes killed all of our rosemary plants in 2021, and last summer there were NO rosemary plants in the garden shops and we couldn't get it to grow from seed.  We were very unhappy about that! 

@Sooner 

Sometimes Whole Foods and Trader Joe's have potted herbs.  Saw that you like mediterranean spices, have you tried Za'atar?  We tried it recently for the first time in a Martha Stewart one pan chicken potatoes red onion kale recipe - easy to find online - and it was incredible!  Have shared it several times since and so far everyone has loved it.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner 

We,too, had a few rosemary plants that were thriving at our previous home, and along came an untimely frost and killed them.  Broke my heart.  The plants looked great, and I love rosemary in marinades for pork and other uses.

Nature's not fair !!

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner 

Sometimes Whole Foods and Trader Joe's have potted herbs.  Saw that you like mediterranean spices, have you tried Za'atar?  We tried it recently for the first time in a Martha Stewart one pan chicken potatoes red onion kale recipe - easy to find online - and it was incredible!  Have shared it several times since and so far everyone has loved it.

@rockygems123 Funny you should mention that!  We had a little jar of Za'atar and one of Dukkah and liked them both.  Then a friend brought a big jar of Za'atar from a Mediterranean market he goes to! 

And I need to get it out of the pantry and USE it! And your idea sounds WONDERFUL!  Thanks for posting this1