Super Contributor

Gosh Sooner, I'd forgotten rum balls.  My immediate thoughts on those were when mom and I were making them in the 60's?  We kept tasting the dough and didn't think we tasted the rum - so we added more rum - and the more we tasted, the less rum we detected.  Well the rest of the story is, dad walked in to us two giggling over them.  He thought they were great, but way too strong. Thanks for the laugh

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I love those sausage balls! They're one of the items I'm "not allowed to make" unless I have a party or event to bring them to—otherwise, it's far too tempting to just keep snacking on them. One variation on the recipe that we really like is substituting pepper jack cheese for the cheddar; it adds a lovely flavor without being too spicy.

Trusted Contributor

thank you for the recipe.

Respected Contributor

Re: Sausage balls

[ Edited ]

I have several recipes for "sausage balls", although I've never made or served them myself.

Each sausage ball recipe  calls for the same 1-pound  of ground hot or mild pork sausage (uncooked) but can vary after that like this:

--The amount of Bisquick baking mix  used (2 cups or 3 cups)

--The amount of shredded or grated Cheddar cheese (anywhere from a half-pound  to 1 pound).

The  amount of Bisquick and cheese used probably determines how "greasy" the meatballs will be.  The more Bisquick  used, the less greasy.

These can be made ahead, unbaked, and frozen on cookie sheets, then stored up to 1 month and baked on ungreased cookie sheet 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees until brown.

Or baked, covered and frozen up to 1 month.  Reheated on ungreased cookie sheet 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

Suggested dipping sauces include barbecue sauce or chili sauce.

Honored Contributor

does anyone use a mixer to combine these or do you all do it by hand?

i am thinking of making these for christmas.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 : always used my hands with disposable food gloves but this year will use the zip lock bag. Southern Bee

Respected Contributor

@new nickname 4 wrote:

Gosh Sooner, I'd forgotten rum balls.  My immediate thoughts on those were when mom and I were making them in the 60's?  We kept tasting the dough and didn't think we tasted the rum - so we added more rum - and the more we tasted, the less rum we detected.  Well the rest of the story is, dad walked in to us two giggling over them.  He thought they were great, but way too strong. Thanks for the laugh

That is a great story, @new nickname 4 !

Valued Contributor

What sauce do you serve the sausage balls in?

Honored Contributor

I never heard of sausage balls. That's okay - I don't mind plain sausage.

Honored Contributor

1/2 lb. hot sausage (softened for a few minutes)

1/2 lb. regular sausage (ditto softened)  (I use all hot)

8 oz. cream cheese (softened for a couple hours)

1 1/4 cup Bisquick

5 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese  (1 loose cup of cold cheese)

Preheat oven to 375

Mix ingredients well.  (Easier to mix if you have all ingredients at room temp)

Form into 3/4 to 1 inch balls.    (the recipe usually makes about 60 - 65 balls.)

My tip:  I put them on non stick aluminum foil  - or spray pan lightly with Pam

Bake approx 30 minutes - or until lightly brown  (I turn over when half way cooked)

You may freeze balls on cookie sheet (with non-stick foil) and after frozen put in baggies.

When you're ready to cook, thaw and cook as shown above. Original recipe said you can

cook from frozen if you add 10 - 15 minutes to cooking time -- but I always thaw first.