Honored Contributor

I'm gorging on fresh tomatoes, enjoying them till their season is over. But I think the best way to use them is the simplest, the tomato sandwich.  That was my lunch, thick slices of tomato between lightly toasted bread and a bit of Mayo. It's a long, sad season with just grocery store tomatoes. Do you like a tomato sandwich ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

My sister supplied me with tomatoes all summer. I use them in salad and use them on a lunch meat sandwich with Miracle Whip and Gulden's mustard. I don't eat just by itself.

Honored Contributor

I love a good tomato sandwich..... especially when it includes bacon and lettuce, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I love a good tomato sandwich..... especially when it includes bacon and lettuce, LOL!

@KingstonsMom , Who doesn't like a BLT ?  However, for me, if the tomato is good and juicy, it is enough. 😋

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@KingstonsMom  Yes!  My mouth wasn't watering until your post.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 ....I just had a scrambled egg with tomato (home grown) slices on top sandwich for lunch, YUM!

Honored Contributor

When I was young, growing up surrounded by the Blue Ridge parkway which I could see, I would go out to the garden and eat tomatoes like apples!  

I had so many acid sores in my mouth which were treated with buttermilk!  

Super Contributor

I've never eaten tomato sandwiches, but this time of year I about founder on fresh garden tomatoes.  My favorite way is to add slices to a ham and cheese sandwich. I  prefer wheat bread, mayo, ham, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato slices and fresh hot pepper slices.  For breakfast I sometimes switch out a scrambled egg for the ham and toast the bread.  My entire life I have eaten whatever tomato leftovers and usually grab a cherry tomato every time I walk by the tray.  My garden tomatoes were/are pitiful this summer, but I've picked enough to can some, share and eat my fill .  There's nothing better than homegrown ripe tomatoes! 

Respected Contributor

I do. Never have eaten them with mayo tho', and I know that's a traditional favorite for many. That's the way my bf loves them.

I'm more of a mustard girl in general...

so some of my fav ways to do a "tomato sandwich" is tomato/cuke/onion/mustard on toast...sometimes a slice of cheese. With mayo on tomato, I love a BLT...made several of those this summer.

I too am trying to gorge on all the local farm stands' fresh produce while it's still here (in CT through end of Oct)...because it IS a lonnnnng sadddd grocery store fruit/veggie season, here in the Northeast, after this. No comparison!

I go into mourning when the 🍉 goes away! 😂

Side note...my cousin's daughter plants a garden each year...she has some of the tastiest veggies. It has been her tomatoes that were several cuts above, even the local farm stands this summer. I don't know what variety she planted but they were red, sweet, juicy and had more flavor than any I tasted this summer!

Enjoy your sandwiches while you can! 🍅😋

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@KingstonsMom  Yes!  My mouth wasn't watering until your post.

@decaf 

And I'll one-up-ya' with a club sandwich, just add another layer to the BLT, with sliced turkey, ham and cheese of your choice! YUM!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.