Respected Contributor

What type of sandwich would be a good mix in a sandwich cake?. I have heard of them and think it is a unique idea.I saw them in a old cookbook from the seventies. My Aunt used to make sandwiches out of the cream puff recipe then followed by, ham salad, baloney salad, egg salad.And they were very nice for Showers.

Trusted Contributor

Like spud188, coookinfreak, and zhills, I remember when the Sandwich Loaf was popular for showers and luncheons -- they were also known as Ribbon Sandwiches because you used fillings like chicken or ham salad, pimento cheese, and egg salad to vary the colors in the layers, then sliced the loaf to show all three colors in each individual "sandwich". 

I enjoyed looking at the awe-inspiring Sandwich Cakes (there IS something new under the sun!), but I think I feel about them like a friend of mine did about tennis:  "I don't want to play it, but I'm glad to know it's there."

Thanks for posting.

Respected Contributor

My mother's cookbook from the 1940's had sandwich cakes in it. They were loaf shaped, and iced in a cream cheese mixture.

They were intended for parties - showers, etc. I never ran across one in real life, though. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sandwich Cakes?

[ Edited ]

We used to order petit fours (aka "finger sandwiches" from the bakery, a tiny layers of cake (frosted) for luncheons or showers in the 1960's through the late 1970's. They ran the course. I've never been seen anything made out of bread, especially white bread. Don't think I've ever had white bread! When mom or I fixed french toast, it was always with whole wheat. My husband would only eat tuna on rye bread. Neither of us cared for sandwiches very often. As a diabetic, I haven't had a sandwich in years.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.