Respected Contributor

My salt grinder smashed on the floor today and I'm thinking about not replacing it. It's not like grinding peppercorns which releases aroma and flavor.

Some recipes do better with coarse salt, but I don't make them that often.

Could you easily live without a salt grinder?

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

My salt grinder smashed on the floor today and I'm thinking about not replacing it. It's not like grinding peppercorns which releases aroma and flavor.

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

_________

If you are a member of Sam's Club, they have a great Member's Mark salt and pepper (sold separately) grinder. It is a huge size and in no way elegant, but it works very well for a great price. It is disposable and plastic, but I got weary of replacing more expensive permanent ones. It seemed that once they were dropped, it never functioned properly again.

Or...you can buy a smaller grinder, single or a set, at the grocery store by McCormick to use until you decide.

Trusted Contributor

I have lived 75 years without a salt grinder. I do use kosher salt from a shaker with slightly bigger holes for the larger crystals. I like it better than table salt. But shaking it on or gently spooning a bit into foods works for me. 

Why not try going for a month with a salt shaker or sprinkling salt with a small spoon from a salt cellar. If you find you do not miss the grinder, then you're no worse off. No grinder needed.

if you give it a month and your food prep seems to be just too "different " without a grinder, enjoy the quest to replace your salt grinder. 

I have no use for grinding salt. I agree that pepper is best freshly ground. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think you can function without the salt grinder. For recipes that require coarse salt, you could just buy a small bottle of that type to have on hand. Salt does not go bad, therefore, you might forget you have a rarely used bottle before you could use it up.

Honored Contributor

i always have a sea salt grinder (manual and battery operated).....several in fact.

i also have coarse salt to fill them if refillable, coarsely ground salt, and superfine salt.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I use a pink salt ginder.  I don't love it.  I actually prefer just good old morton's salt in a whimsical salt shaker.  LOL> but like you said, some recipes call for the course. 

I have even read that some chefs reccomend also having flake salt in your spice collection.  You can alway just put your salt in a bowl or whatever that stovetop salt holder is called.  Maybe a salt cave.  LOL I have not idea.  I think I just made that up.  

Respected Contributor

I have never used a salt grinder.  I almost always use kosher salt that I keep in a olive wood salt cellar. 

Respected Contributor

Sometimes I wonder what it must have been like the first time your cave clan got to try salt as a seasoning.

Honored Contributor

I have a grinder with Himalayan pink salt, but I rarely reach for it anymore.  I have Redmon Real Salt in a shaker on the table and some in a little crock at my counter work area.  I also have a smallish container of Malden salt flakes for steak when it comes off the grill. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @PickyPicky3 !  I have salt and pepper grinders that I got years ago and still use.  I buy pepper in bulk from Costco and got the Himalayan salt there as well when I can't get Hawaiian Alaea salt at a reasonable price.  (I started using Hawaiian salt when we lived on the Big Island.)  I know how many grinds of each for a teaspoon, salt requires fewer than pepper (50% more).  Much easier for me than working with measuring spoons.  If these break, though, I'd think long and hard about starting over again, depending of course on how much inventory I have of bulk peppercorns or larger salt crystals.