Honored Contributor

Hmmm, I have a bunch of stuff in all types, but I always seem to use glassware.  Pyrex especially, I don't think, I just grab.  I am making one exception, the Le Creuset TSV small oval that is perfect for a two person family.  I find I can do pork chops and roasts and let them sit for a couple hours when DH is late getting home.  The food stays warm but does not overcook. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Safe Bakeware?

[ Edited ]

I think the worst problems have been with glass bakeware made with cheap soda lime glass. This includes Pyrex in recent years.

A studier material for glass baking dishes is Borosilicate glass. You can look on Amazon and find examples of borosilicate bakeware.

I have several pieces by Marinex and by Arcuisine. They are really nice, not very expensive and are very strong. FYI, OXO is now selling some borosilicate pieces, such as casserole dishes. Simex is another brand. 

Borosilicate glass is much safer because it is resistant to thermal shock.

I also have Emile Henry pie plates and ramekins that I love. It's rather expensive, but worth it. Fiestaware is another good option. 

Honored Contributor

The glass pieces that Lock & Lock makes are Borosilicate glass and feel nice and durable.  I have several from over the years, in various sizes and shapes.   

I absolutely love that they use Borosilicate because it would be so much cheaper to use soda lime and then not have such a decent product.

I usually don't buy L&L that has vents or spouts, or the like, but I recently saw a set here at QVC of glass L&L - 4 small-ish squares with vented seals.    I'm surprised at how thick the glass is, even for smaller pieces, and how thick the seals are.

Not only that, but I tested then for liquid-tight and they passed 100%, so that was a nice plus.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

The glass pieces that Lock & Lock makes are Borosilicate glass and feel nice and durable.  I have several from over the years, in various sizes and shapes.   

I absolutely love that they use Borosilicate because it would be so much cheaper to use soda lime and then not have such a decent product.

I usually don't buy L&L that has vents or spouts, or the like, but I recently saw a set here at QVC of glass L&L - 4 small-ish squares with vented seals.    I'm surprised at how thick the glass is, even for smaller pieces, and how thick the seals are.

Not only that, but I tested then for liquid-tight and they passed 100%, so that was a nice plus.

@chickenbutt - I totally agree! I was going to compose a very similar reply about the borosilicate glass and the high quality of the Lock & Lock pieces that use it. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@loriqvc, I am not sure that I have seen the small bistro bowl in person.  I love the shape of it.  I will have to make my way to Macy's sometime and check it out.  I do have 6 gusto bowls, and they are deep, and a little bigger than your small bistro bowl.  I love them for certain things.  I love the look of them too. 

Regarding the foundry color/glaze, I find it interesting, but I have not purchased any.  It is so unique!  It really does resemble cast iron.  I think it would be cute to have a foundry ramekin as a server for salsa. 

@homedecor1, I like the colors you chose!  I have not been to Kohl's in so long.  It is a distance, and so is Macy's.  We live in a small town and have no Fiesta available locally.  The last time I was at Kohl's they did not have much Fiestaware available.  Also, a recent visit to Macy's kind of alarmed me because the Fiestaware was not in its usual spot.  I looked around and finally found it.  When I was asked if I needed help, I commented that I thought at first that they no longer had Fiestaware.  I was told, no, it is a very good seller and they would not get rid of it.  Whew! 

You got such a great deal on the little casserole dishes. 

Hah, you made me laugh!  I also keep an eye on the colors as I unload the dishwasher... don't want two of the same color together in the stack.  Sometimes the entire stack is in the dishwasher so I can decide which plate has its turn on the bottom.  OK, probably too much info, now everyone knows I can be a little bit obsessive.  Smiley Very Happy

I enjoyed reading everyone's comments about Borosilicate glass.  Very informative.