Occasional Contributor

I am getting really confused about what bakeware  to use for casseroles,etc. now-a-days.  I have always preferred stoneware, but there are SO MANY complaints about them cracking in the oven , I am afraid to use them. I have searched all over the internet for reviews, not just QVC.  I wanted a set of oval shaped dishes.  I have the set QVC used to sell by Lucia B. And it is holding up great. I am also using my 40 year old Corning Ware that has held up great. It is a set made before they sold out to China and changed the materials making the newer pieces prone to breakage. Rachel Ray has many complaints about breaking and I am pretty sure here are from China to. I have used Pampered Chef in the past and never had a problem, but there are several complaints about them cracking as well. I am looking at Emile Henry dishes, they are more expensive, but they are made in France and have pretty good reviews. I will pay more to get something I don't have to worry about. I really don't want to bags to go to using metal pans and I can 't deal with cast iron because of the weight. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good brand to get. I would be interested in what others are trusting to use. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I also use some of the old Pyroceram Corning Ware and it's great.  BTW, you can still get more pieces on ebay.  Just be sure you know exactly what you're buying.   I've purchased some, brand new, there in the past and I made sure they had pics of the bottoms as well because that's how you know what it is.  The Chinese stoneware ones have those raw edges and say 'Made in China' and 'stoneware' right on them.   The Pyroceram ones have a shiny bottom and no raw edges are needed for this.  They last forever.

I filled out my set of the old stuff a number of years ago so I have plenty of that to use.  I have the French White and French Black.  I think they are beautiful, as I don't like busy designs.   They are very classy looking.

Once they changed to Chinese-made stoneware, it's just a totally different product and I would never put Chinese stoneware in the oven, or any heat source.

If I were looking for more baking dishes I really don't know where I would look, besides these older Corning Ware pieces.   No doubt I would avoid Temptations, and other poorly made Chinese stoneware products, like the plague.   Aside from how they look (yikes!), they are not properly fired and that is one of the reasons you see cracking, crazing, and exploding problems with them.

Esteemed Contributor

Good old Anchor Hocking! Or those glass crimped pie plates you can get at Wal-Mart. Always reliable! Not necessarily pretty, but it beats cracking bakeware!

Honored Contributor

I have Le Creuset stoneware.  I have a covered casserole dish that I use almost every week and I've had no problems.

Esteemed Contributor

Hands down............Corning Ware.  Has served me well for decades. 

Honored Contributor

I have some polish stoneware pieces that I love.  I also have a piece by Fiestaware that's very nice as well as a loaf pan by Emile Henry that I like a lot.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Hi, Peppermint Patty. 

I have older corningware and fiesta bakeware (and dinnerware).

Fiesta is made in the USA, and is fully vitrified and will not absorb moisture.  Fiesta is very strong! 

I have the Fiesta 9-inch square baker, 15-inch baking tray, and several individual casseroles.  The individual casserole dishes are my favorites, and have many uses.  I happen to know that they make an adorable server for an ice cream sundae!

I also have the pie baker, and 2 small individual pie bakers.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I have some polish stoneware pieces that I love.  I also have a piece by Fiestaware that's very nice as well as a loaf pan by Emile Henry that I like a lot.  

How could I forget about Fiestaware?     That is also a great choice, and I've never heard anything but good about Emile Henry brand.  Smiley Happy

Fiestaware is also made in the US and is of very good quality.   I have a few Fiesta baking pieces also and they stay like new, just like the old Corning Ware.

Valued Contributor

Highly recommend Le Crueset and Polish Pottery. Never had a problem

Honored Contributor

My favorite is Apilco and Pillivuyt from Williams-Sonoma and others.  It is great and bakes evenly, and is sturdy.  It cleans up far better than the old Pyrex (which is glass and holds onto burnt on more than the ceamics) and Corningware as well.

It is expensive, but they have 20 percent off often and pieces on sale sometimes.  Emile Henry is good and I haven't have touble with Le Creuset, but to me the French white pieces are tops.