Honored Contributor

I heard this morning on the news that Romaine will soon be safe once again.  They said packages would be marked and dated and that the Romaine that caused the problems was from California!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

I had read we can expect this to occur again.  The previous administration had put in place a requirement that produce growers test water for contaminents but some growers screamed foul, that the rule should not apply across the board so the current administration canceled it.  The testing is expensive, apple growers and others said they shouldn't have to test, much less pay for it.  Maybe that's true but as it is now, it is entirely up to the leafy green growers to test or not.  Some do, some won't, probably the smaller growers with less capital to pay for the testing cost.

It's maddening that the cost is allowed to compromise safety.  Anytime there is such a need, there is money to be made.

Respected Contributor

Maybe there should be a boycott unitl the growers come around to testing their produce and making it safe for the consumer.  The bottom line is the cost for the testing will eventually be passed along to the consumer anyhow, but at least we will know the food is safe to eat.

Respected Contributor

@CherryHugs wrote:

I heard this morning on the news that Romaine will soon be safe once again.  They said packages would be marked and dated and that the Romaine that caused the problems was from California!!

I am starting to believe that no food is safe except that which you grow on your own.. I stopped eating lettuce after the last food scare and now I am skeptical the issue is really cleared up...thinking a blow to agriculture/produce would not be a good thing for California right now especially after the fires. 

Trusted Contributor

Our news here in So. Cal says that they have determined that the infected Romaine came from Central California.  Romaine that is grown in the Imperial Valley, Mexico, Florida appears to be safe.

If you can determine from the retailer when the lettuce was grown, it is safe to eat - if not, don't chance it yet.  I think every food product should have the place of origin.  FDA needs to insist on this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Romaine-Updatee

[ Edited ]

Need to peel back further.

The animal producers are the ones who need stricter guidelines

so their animal waste runoff doesn’t contaminate surrounding

produce fields.  eColi originates with them. 

Honored Contributor

I buy organic as much as I can--not that there will never be a problem with that choice, but if you know where and how these farms operate their growing, it makes a big difference. I also talk to the produce people where I shop, to see where sutff comes from.  And have been growing my own lettuces as well---had a good first time crop this past summer----

Honored Contributor

I wont buy romaine for a very long time.  I bought some green leaf at Kroger this weekend and havent used it yet! 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Romaine-Update

[ Edited ]

@hellodali wrote:

Maybe there should be a boycott unitl the growers come around to testing their produce and making it safe for the consumer.  The bottom line is the cost for the testing will eventually be passed along to the consumer anyhow, but at least we will know the food is safe to eat.

@hellodali - I agree! And it's so short-sighted and silly of the growers to balk at the water testing requirement—in the long run, all their refusal does is ensure that when a contamination outbreak occurs, they lose every penny because no one can buy what they're selling.

Honored Contributor

Read today it's good to eat. Said the bad stuff was coming from Ca.

The winter crop coming from some other place is safe to eat. Don't remember what they said.