Honored Contributor

I like okra.  I can put it on a paper towel before I eat it.  I also like it stirred around in a no stick with olive oil.

Martha Rose Shulman's Roasted Okra

Ingredients
  • 1 pound okra
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Fresh thyme leaves to taste optional
  • Freshly ground pepper
Add to Your Grocery List
  •  
    Nutritional Information
      • Nutritional analysis per serving (4 servings)
        97 calories; 7 grams fat; 1 grams saturated fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 grams polyunsaturated fat; 9 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 2 grams sugars; 2 grams protein; 280 milligrams sodium;
    Note: The information shown is Edamam’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.

Preparation
  1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Rinse the okra, and drain on a kitchen towel. The okra should be dry. Trim away the stem ends and the tips, just the very ends, and then place the okra in a large bowl. Salt to taste, and toss with the olive oil until coated.
  2. Lift the okra from the bowl, leaving behind any excess oil. Place on a sheet pan in one layer. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes (large okra might take a little longer), shaking the pan every five minutes. The okra should be lightly browned and tender, with a nice seared aroma. If you don’t want it to brown as much, set the oven at 400 degrees.
  3. Remove from the heat, toss with fresh thyme, if desired, and freshly ground pepper. Transfer to a platter. Serve hot can be drizzled with Baslamic vinegar.
Tip
  • Advance preparation: You can trim the okra several hours ahead, but this is a last-minute recipe.
Honored Contributor

@ECBG I love okra usually with tomatoes....never met a veggie I didn't like.  Never thought of roasting, great idea!

Respected Contributor

Re: Roasted Okra

[ Edited ]

Life long southerner here. My parents would boil okra and try to force me to eat it when I was a child.  Let's just say that never ended well.  So no I will never eat okra no way no how. Sorry to all of the okra fans. 

Esteemed Contributor

my mother used to make okra stew...always made sure i was too ill to eat dinner when she made it......it's the only vegetable i won't eat...just can't handle the texture!

Respected Contributor

I really like Okra but it has to be fried.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@ECBG I love okra usually with tomatoes....never met a veggie I didn't like.  Never thought of roasting, great idea!

@phoenixbrd It will be like another vegetable you love!  Drizzle with Baslamic!!!

Honored Contributor

@Leggett28 wrote:

I really like Okra but it has to be fried.

@Leggett28 This isn't "gooey"Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@ECBG @We like Orka and your recipe looks like something we would like. In the winter when we can’t find fresh Safeway has whole frozen Okra and it’s pretty good. 

Respected Contributor

This looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it.

Thanks for the post @ECBG .

Honored Contributor

@Leggett28 @Spacrazy Roasted Brussels sprouts are so sweet you won't believe it!

Heat oven to 400 degrees. 

I just line a bake sheet with aluminum foil

Spray with olive oil.

Spread out Brussels sprouts. (fresh or frozen).

Spray with olive oil.

Bake 10 minutes turn over, roast 10 minutes more.