Respected Contributor

I have instacart so today I received a email coupon for Rice A Roni. I had to laugh because I haven't bought rice a roni in years and it made me think I wonder how many other old pantry staples are still around and if people are still buying on a regular basis.  Another one I thought of was cornmeal.  (my grandmother use to make cornbread from scratch) Jiffy corn bread was not around back then. Can anyone think of any other old brand name pantry items?

Esteemed Contributor

can't remember the last time i used shake & bake....used it a lot when my kids were growing up!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

One of my sisters loves that she can still purchase Mary Kitchen Hash.

(I was never a fan.)

Respected Contributor

@nana59wrote: can't remember the last time i used shake & bake....used it a lot when my kids were growing up!

That's a good one ! I forgot about that and remember my mom using it many years ago

Respected Contributor

When I first got married, I fixed Rice a Roni all the time. I am from the South, hubs is from the North. We had white rice at almost every meal while I was growing up, I tried to "dress it up" for him to eat it. Years later, he told me one of his favorite meals was my mama's white rice with okra and stewed tomatoes Smiley Happy

I worked at a drive in bank up North and my customers would call me the "shake & bake lady"; I didn't realize I had an accent!

The thing that comes to mind straight away is Chef Boyardee pizza in a box. We didn't have pizza down in the South so it was a real treat! I'm not sure but wouldn't guess they still make that. Also 7-Up candy bars were my favorite, they don't make them any longer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@nana59wrote: can't remember the last time i used shake & bake....used it a lot when my kids were growing up!

That's a good one ! I forgot about that and remember my mom using it many years ago

shake and bake chicken with rice a roni!!

Honored Contributor

My mom always made Shake and Bake pork chops, they were really good. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

I still buy and love Rice a Roni, and Mary Kitchen hash, and Spam, but nowadays I buy the low sodium Spam.

My grandma bought Tang for us...umm just say no LOL.

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 

I was born and reared in NC and am still there.  I have never heard of that candy bar! 

My candy love as a child was Milky Way or 3 Musketeers.

Esteemed Contributor

As soon as I read your topic title I sang the jingle for rice a roni. I still use shake and bake. Campbells soup is still around. I always loved the chicken noodle when I was a kid. Jello is still around.