Honored Contributor

@Just Bling 

We planted grape, roma and Celebrity.  So far, only one red grape but they are loaded with green ones.  The sun has been a bit sparse here but TONS of rain.  Enough already!

I saute and we ate most of the zucc already.  I also make what I call my Italian Mess.

Zucc, peppers, celery, onions, mushrooms...what ever veggies are hanging around.

Add Hunts Fire Roasted diced toms, some tom paste and all the usual Italian type spices, oregano, basil etc.

I saute and then top with mozz slices to get nice and melty.

The balance I spiralized and froze.  it is the only way I have like it frozen.  When I have tried to freeze chunks...the texture is SO weird when defrosted.  I spiralize then micro for about 30-45 secs to get some of the water out.  Then package up with the food saver and freeze.  They still get a bit watery once defrosted, but the texture stays nice.  I used them all winter.

If I had on inch of space in my freezers, I would shredd and make choc zucc muffins to freeze.

Regular Contributor

These are our family favorite....

Crock Pickles

4 pounds pickles

1/4 cup salt

2 quarts water...8 cups

5 farlic cloves garlic...coarsely chopped

2 Tablespoon mixed pickling spices

1 bunch fresh dill

1 slice day old "Jewish" style rye bread

Wash pickles and arrange in crock

Stir salt in water and pour into crock

Add garlic and pickling spices

Lay bunch of dill over top

Place rye bread on top

Cover with plastic wrap

Lay a heavy weight on top to keep everything submerged

Let stand at roon temperature for 3 days....pickles will not spoil!

Refridgerate 5 days before serving

These pickles may take a litttle  time but they are sooo good. They crunch when you eat them.  Any leftovers must be refridgerated.  You can add hot peppers if you want a spicey pickle.

Jewish rye bread is rye bread with caraway seeds and must be used.  To be honest I have made these for years and have no idea what the rye bread does but I have never made these pickles without it.

Has anyone made pickled green tomatoes?  Another so good pickled vegetable!i  I make these every year with fresh firm green tomatoes.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife 

When I buy zuke's from the farmer I grate them in the food processor and use them for chocolate zuccinni cake.  The cake is baked with chocolate chips and nuts on the top and super moist.

I think your muffins are probably the same thing but mine never makes it in the freezer, it evaporates!

Respected Contributor

@Silverfox1 

Never did green pickled tomatoes but I probably wouldn't eat them.

I like your crock recipe, thank you so very much.  My grandma made crock pickles, used to put an inverted plate on the top and I believe she used alum too.   I have no idea where you can even find it, but I'm sure it's thre.

I will put your recipe away for next year, I put all my pickles in jars and they are in the frig.  I only have a few left growing and I'll toss them into a salad.

Thank you again.   Love family recipes.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@RespectLife 

When I buy zuke's from the farmer I grate them in the food processor and use them for chocolate zuccinni cake.  The cake is baked with chocolate chips and nuts on the top and super moist.

I think your muffins are probably the same thing but mine never makes it in the freezer, it evaporates!

LOL

I make muffins cuz we can never seem to finish a loaf or cake.  This way I can portion control by taking just a couple muffins out at a time.  I use the same recipes.

Oh yes, chocolate and chocolate chips are a must!  Why eat zucchini any other way?

LOL

Honored Contributor

I thank you as well @Silverfox1 

I would love to try your crock recipe.

And no vinegar, eh???  Just water?   Very interesting!

If I don't have fresh dill, do you think dried or dill seeds would be okay?

Do you cut the pickles?  Sliced, cubes , spears?

TIA

Regular Contributor

@RespectLife IMO I would google about using dill seeds instead of fresh dill.  I have always followed the recipe perfectly.  My Mother got me started on these pickles and she always used fresh dill too.  I use small/medium size pickles and leave them whole.  These pickles have a good crunch.  Don't forget the rye bread with caraway seeds.  It is a must!

Honored Contributor

@Silverfox1 

Thanks so much!  Sorry to ask so many questions!

I didn't plant dill this year, but next year I should so I can make these.

One more pesty question?  Do you peel the cukes??

I won't forget the Rye...we have really good Rye w/ caraway around here.  Kaufmann's comes to mind.

Regular Contributor

@RespectLife  you certainly am not a pest.  I love to cook and bake and love to share.  I am also a recipe tester for America's Test Kitchen...always learning.

Nope do not peel.  Just wash them real good.  BTW, make sure they are pickles not cukes...there is a difference in size.  I hope this makes sense.

Honored Contributor

@Silverfox1 

Yes!  Thank you!

I don't think I have any more pickles coming this year....maybe one or two more cukes.

But I thank you for all your info!  I have printed to take home for my files!!!