Honored Contributor

Re: Refrigerator Doors Issue

Call your service number.  Your issue needs to be checked out!

Valued Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

We have this exact issue with our Whirlpool and Frigidaire refrigerators.  The real issue is the company has gone cheap on their door seal gasket, and you no longer have a heavy rubber gasket that actually holds the door closed.  If you slam either door, the other door pops open.  

In this house it's a constant reminder to stop slamming the door shut; hold the handle till the door is closed, and double check the other door while you're standing there.

P.S.   Years ago an appliance repairman showed me how to test the seal on a fridge or freezer gasket.  Close the door on a dollar bill and try to pull the bill out with the door closed.  If you can pull the bill right out you do not have a strong seal with the gasket.  I tested both the above refrigerators when they were delivered, and the bill came right out.  Cheap gaskets from the get go.  

Bingo!  Ya know, I think this might be it.  My previous fridge was set up the same way but it never did this.  I'll have to see if they can maybe put in a new gasket.  Thanks for info.  :heart:

Honored Contributor

You bet I have the same problem, @Melzie . I have the problem with my "newer" refrigerator. But is started from the day it was delivered.

The delivery guys wanted to take it through the front door because it was close to the kitchen. Problem was, there was a built in bookcase that made turning the refrigerator to go into the kitchen tight. 

Well, they did it but broke our light switch in the hall (never told us - took 2 visits from an electrician to figure out why outlet in kitchen no longer worked). They broke the kick plate on the refrigerator. And messed up the gasket around the freezer.

So many nights the freezer door stayed ajar because no one paid attention. Most of the time if you closed the refrigerator door hard enough the freezer door popped open.

We have an old refrigerator in the garage. And it is so well built. There are magnets on both the freezer and refrigerator doors. You close the door it stays closed.

As @RedTop said the newer refrigerator is built cheaper definitely not better.

Respected Contributor

The very first thing I thought of was a faulty gasket....years ago they were made to last forever; now they are thin and plastic-y and not pliable, heavy rubber that seals well. I would check youtube and see if you can find a video of how to replace the gasket yourself ( if you determine that is the issue) or call a repairman to do it; just replacing it should not be over-the-top expensive. If he says you need a new fridge due to the cost of a new gasket, show him the door.

Valued Contributor

@Melzie wrote:

I have an on-going issue with my refrigerator doors.  When I shut the lower door the freezer door pops open, cooling off the freezer section, and not always closing tightly.  

I had velcro on the freezer door which kept the door closed and worked for a long time but now, for some reason, it's not working as well and is becoming a pain, not to mention concern about lowering the freezer temerature and possibly melting food in the freezer closer to the front.  :manfrustrated:

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or if there are any suggestions on how to fix it.  Thanks.     

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and info.  I'm going to expore all to see what, if anything, works.  I think the two biggest culprits are the gasket and I'll have to see if I have too much weight on the freezer door.  Otherwise, it's more velcro!   Have a great day everyone!  :heart: