Valued Contributor

I have an on-going issue with my refrigerator doors.  When I shut the lower door the freezer door pops open, cooling off the freezer section, and not always closing tightly.  

I had velcro on the freezer door which kept the door closed and worked for a long time but now, for some reason, it's not working as well and is becoming a pain, not to mention concern about lowering the freezer temerature and possibly melting food in the freezer closer to the front.  :manfrustrated:

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or if there are any suggestions on how to fix it.  Thanks.     

Honored Contributor

Re: Refrigerator Doors Issue

[ Edited ]

Is the unit level on your floor?  Is the stuff in the freezer evenly distributed weight wise? Make sure the freezer is full so it's heavier and more difficult to pop open. 

Respected Contributor

1. How old is the appliance
  2. Did you register the appliance
  3. Do you have a warranty and if so is it within the warranty time
  4. If so, Google the manufacturer custmer service number
  5. If not call a local appliance repair shop if you have one
  6. If not, more velcro?
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did a search and found this. 

There are four main reasons why your freezers, whether they be chest, upright, or built-in fridge freezer, might pop open on their own. They are the following:

The freezer might be off-balanced

Excessive food stock

The gasket or seal has become faulty

Too much weight on the door

Honored Contributor

Do you have something on either the door or shelf hanging over that is causing the door to pop open. 

It happens here when there is a bit too much in there.

Honored Contributor

I would go bonkers if I had to use velcro to keep my freezer shut.  Can't you just "call the guy?"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have this exact issue with our Whirlpool and Frigidaire refrigerators.  The real issue is the company has gone cheap on their door seal gasket, and you no longer have a heavy rubber gasket that actually holds the door closed.  If you slam either door, the other door pops open.  

In this house it's a constant reminder to stop slamming the door shut; hold the handle till the door is closed, and double check the other door while you're standing there.

P.S.   Years ago an appliance repairman showed me how to test the seal on a fridge or freezer gasket.  Close the door on a dollar bill and try to pull the bill out with the door closed.  If you can pull the bill right out you do not have a strong seal with the gasket.  I tested both the above refrigerators when they were delivered, and the bill came right out.  Cheap gaskets from the get go.  

Respected Contributor

@Melzie, I was surprised to read your post, because I often have the same issue with my bottom freezer door popping open when I shut the fridge.

What I have to do to remedy it, is to try to keep the stuff in the freezer carefully placed and stacked away from the door.

If there's even an iota of anything jutting out towards the door, it'll pop open  as soon as you touch the fridge's door.

Such a PITA!

And @RedTop, ITA agree with your reasoning.

Muddling through...
Valued Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:
  1. How old is the appliance
  2. Did you register the appliance
  3. Do you have a warranty and if so is it within the warranty time
  4. If so, Google the manufacturer custmer service number
  5. If not call a local appliance repair shop if you have one
  6. If not, more velcro?

HA!  I think we can rule out Numbers 1 thru 5 for various reasons.  No. 6 seems to be the best option and I had to chuckle when I saw that as I think it's the only option.  Either that or duct tape the door shut when not in use.  :-)

Valued Contributor

@BostonMommy wrote:

I did a search and found this. 

There are four main reasons why your freezers, whether they be chest, upright, or built-in fridge freezer, might pop open on their own. They are the following:

The freezer might be off-balanced

Excessive food stock

The gasket or seal has become faulty

Too much weight on the door

Thanks for these suggestions.  I'll have to check the last three as I don't think the fridge is off balance.   :smileyhappy: