Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for a Sweet Potato Fry Cutter

@Zhills wrote:

I often do sweet potato fries for lunch!  I eat a couple a week.  Love them savory, not sweet, like some of the ones you buy frozen.   Just my choice.  Never met a sweet potato I didn't like!

@Zhills

Gotta find the Japanese or Hannah sweet potatoes!

So much different than the orange garnets.

I can only find them at Whole Foods, but they are worth it.

Also...when I eat Garnets, I love using this sweet salsa.

(from Walmart...try it!):

5AF1447A-FA5B-412A-A459-4A2FE0042BAA.jpeg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMG_6075.PNG

I have bought several of these for gifts as well as I love mine. Very sturdy. A hint is when making potatoes for French fries or sweet potato fries is to tilt them and not put them in straight up. They are quick and easy to make. It comes with three different blades and does most of what I have to cut. The video is good to watch first. Kitchen Master item 211-124. I have the turquoise and love the color. I have two waiting to give for Christmas presents. It washes like a dream and stores all the parts inside. Everything comes apart to wash. It is fun also. This is $5.00 off right now.

I am on blood thinner so it is important not to have a knife slip if I was to cut by hand so this fits the bill for safety for me. I double the dish towel when I dry the parts or let them air dry.

Honored Contributor

@MKR14 Thanks! I'll check out the video. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler This machine is really fun to use as you make a lot in a few pushes. Unlike other ones I have seen you need very little pressure to use it. I cut myself on a Mandolin and that was not good being on blood thinner. I used it and I cut myself when I was drying it with a towel. I got rid of it.

With the parts storing in this Kitchen Master everything is there in one place. The blades just fall into place and locks in place easily. I look for an excuse to use it. It cuts and dices onions so fast I laugh every time. Smiley Happy

There is a small dice and and a large dicing part. Also a slicer to slice radishes, potatoes, and tomatoes etc. It cuts lemons and limes in slices when put in whole whole and to make wedges just slice them in half. Always put the flat side down towards the blades. 

I would buy another to replace it if anything happened to mine. 

My garndaughter loved mine so she is getting one for Christmas in the turquoise. 

I have had mine a year and it looks and works like the day I bought it.

Hooe you find just what is right for you.

Honored Contributor

@MKR14 Thanks for all your information. It does look simple to use. Surprised it doesn't require more pressure to use.

Purchased it from HSN and will soon see! Heart

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom  That gadget looks like what the restaurants use...  So it should work, but sweet potatoes have a different starch content and consistency than white potatoes...

Respected Contributor

@Zhills I looked in the August recipe game and did not find your recipe...  Could you please post it hear.  It sounds so good...

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@sidsmom  That gadget looks like what the restaurants use...  So it should work, but sweet potatoes have a different starch content and consistency than white potatoes...

@KatieB

“...different starch content...”

Sweet potatoes are literally the exact same as white potatoes,

except for more beta carotene.  What do you mean ‘starch content?’

Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Zhills I looked in the August recipe game and did not find your recipe...  Could you please post it hear.  It sounds so good...

BROWN SUGAR BACON ROASTED SWEET POTATOES

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1″ cubes
5 strips of bacon, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup brown sugar + more for sprinkling

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.

Peel your sweet potatoes.

In large bowl add your sweet potatoes and olive oil and toss to coat.

Add in your bacon and brown sugar and again toss to coat and distribute your bacon.

Lay your ingredients on the baking sheet.

Roast in oven for about 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.  Enjoy!

These are so good piping hot fresh out of the oven. However, they are still delicious reheated. I placed my recipe in the oven for 20 minutes at 250 to reheat.  

Respected Contributor

Should have said that sweet potatoes were more dense...