Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recommend a knife set in a butcher block, anyone?

@Serenity-Now I do a lot of cooking, just regular meals for my family. And I have many types of knives. So, whatever knives you choose, I would get the Kuhn Rikon knife block they sell on QVC. The neat thing about it is you can see the blades, so you know which knife you are pulling, AND you can clean every part.

Kuhn Rikon Knife Block.jpg

I have a very small kitchen and  pretty many knives, so I also have a 14 inch magnetic knife holder where I do my prepping.

Magnetic Knife Holder.jpg

These are some of my favorite cooking purchases!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Wusthof, Henckles, will last you a lifetime if cared for.  Don't get the cheapest ones in either of them--the ones without bolsters.  I know one set is the "Gourmet" ones--you don't want those.

Japahese knives like Shun and Global are WONDERFUL!  They have them on sale at Williams-Sonoma a lot.  A big (8" or a little longer) really sharp knife will slice things like you can't believe and are a joy to use.

Get a thicker chef's knife 8 in. or longer for general use and chopping.  A bread knife, a long one, is a must too.  Paring knives, utility knives, and a santoku or other gratin edge knife (I like the rectangular edged ones that look more like a cleaver too!).    If you carve a lot of meat, a boning knife.

I would buy a variety rather than get a block, then get a block and fill that up.  Can extend over birthdays, Dad's day and other days too!

Respected Contributor

@Lakegirlwrote:
I would recommend any of the Wusthof Classic sets. I have a set that is 20 years old. Love it! Bought sets for our two older children as shower gifts. They are expensive, but worth it. You will never have to buy another set of knives. They also sell knife sharpeners. Crate & Barrel, Williiam-Sonoma, and Sur La Table sell them and also have sales at least once a year.

@Lakegirl AGREE 100%  Definitely the Classic sets.  I LOVE to cook and have collected these knives for years.  I also sent my sister several knives from this series as a gift 2 years ago,  and she was beyond thrilled.  They are regulary on sale throughout the year at William Sonoma.