Respected Contributor

Re: Recommend a knife set in a butcher block, anyone?

On 2/12/2015 Poodlepet2 said: Back in November I asked this question. A couple of people responded whose children went to culinary school and they suggested Victoronix. That's what I ended up getting and these babies dance circles around the above mentioned brands. I thought I had good knives before, but the Victoronix is a different animal all together. There are more expensive Swiss knives out there, ( Victoronix is Swiss), but these are fabulous for home cooks and I can understand why culinary schools would prefer them. Poodlepet2

Poodlepet2, I did a search for these knives and it kept resulting in Victoronox ( instead of Victoronix). where did you buy yours? maybe I'd have better luck just looking at a specific website.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Super Contributor

On 2/14/2015 debc said:
On 2/14/2015 4uthebest said:
On 2/14/2015 debc said:

I have several different brands of knives and I have them in a kapoosh block. You can put knives in how you want them and take it out and wash it as well. Wustoff and Henkels are my favorite knives, but I bought some techniques from here that look like Global knives as well. Keeping them sharp is key to any knives IMO.

Debc, I have 2 of the kapoosh that I got at BB&B ..how do you clean them as I just bought a new one to replace my 6 yr old one?

I just pop it out and put it in the top rack of the dishwasher. Shake it out and let it dry.

Debc thank you.. I did not know it popped out. My main problem was trying to put too many in and the rods bent..

Super Contributor

On 2/14/2015 Mochahoney said:
On 2/12/2015 Poodlepet2 said: Back in November I asked this question. A couple of people responded whose children went to culinary school and they suggested Victoronix. That's what I ended up getting and these babies dance circles around the above mentioned brands. I thought I had good knives before, but the Victoronix is a different animal all together. There are more expensive Swiss knives out there, ( Victoronix is Swiss), but these are fabulous for home cooks and I can understand why culinary schools would prefer them. Poodlepet2

Poodlepet2, I did a search for these knives and it kept resulting in Victoronox ( instead of Victoronix). where did you buy yours? maybe I'd have better luck just looking at a specific website.

It is the actually.. Victorinox They make the Swiss Army Knives

Respected Contributor

thank you 4uthebest

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Highlighted
Super Contributor

thank you 4uthebest

You are welcome.. I tend to pronounce it vick tor eye knocks

Valued Contributor

My dh just surprised me with a set of Ergo Chef knives with block. I had never heard of them and I wanted to try a Nakari so he purchased an Ergo Chef for me. With my many knives of all price ranges never have I seen a knife this sharp. (My finger will attest to this.) He liked it so much (not that he cooks) he purchased me a complete set. In fact a friend saw it loved and bought the Nakari and tonight he asked to borrow the carving knife out of the set for a dinner party we were all having!

Respected Contributor

On 2/14/2015 debc said:
On 2/14/2015 debc said:

I have several different brands of knives and I have them in a kapoosh block. You can put knives in how you want them and take it out and wash it as well. Wustoff and Henkels are my favorite knives, but I bought some techniques from here that look like Global knives as well. Keeping them sharp is key to any knives IMO.

Debc, I have 2 of the kapoosh that I got at BB&B ..how do you clean them as I just bought a new one to replace my 6 yr old one?

I just pop it out and put it in the top rack of the dishwasher. Shake it out and let it dry.

Debc thank you.. I did not know it popped out. My main problem was trying to put too many in and the rods bent..

I just turn it upside down and shake it. LOL, I've sliced a few off with sharp knives but that hasn't really effected it any.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
QVC Customer Care
Respected Contributor

We have a set of Lamson Sharp knives.  Made in the USA in Shelburne Falls, MA.  We've had them for a decade and they are wonderful to cut and carve with.  They came in a regular (not self-sharpening) butcher block.  We learned how to use a steel and use it before every use of the knives.  The are not cheap.  But, they're Made in the USA by an almost-200 year old company and we love them.  Go to their website and see what you find.

Esteemed Contributor

@Poodlepet2, I had never heard of these knives, except for the Swiss Army Knife, until a few days ago.  I received an e-mail from one of the cooking sites saying that the Victoronix chef's knife was the best selling knife on Amazon.

I do not have a wooden block for my knives.  They are wrapped individually and put in the knife drawer.  I have read too many stories about the harboring of germs in those blocks.  Too unhealthy for me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!