Trusted Contributor

Has anyone ever tried these?  Are they any good?

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Rastelli's Filet Medallions

[ Edited ]

Yes. I have had them.  They are OK, but expensive considering it’s price per pound.   It is the  conivence you are paying for.

Now I just get a whole beef tenderloin and cut it up myself.  Vacumn seal and have them in my freezer when needed for stir fry, kabobs, stroganoff. etc.  Bur I prefer a Prime grade 6-8 oz. tenderloin grilled or seared rare.  2-3 inch thick center cut of the tenderloin.  👍

~Life is short. So eat well. You could die tomorrow. ~

Frequent Contributor

me too. Just me here, hubby passed, and it is  a treat to have a filet mignon from the meat market. I buy shrimp, fish and chicken for one on sale and freeze for another night.

Honored Contributor

These don't even have a USDA grading listed for them so you can be assured they are not USDA PRIME OR USDA CHOICE. They might be USDA SELECT or not graded using the USDA system at all. From the USDA site:

"Beef is graded in two ways: quality grades for tenderness, juiciness and flavor; and yield grades for the amount of usable lean meat on the carcass. 

Prime beef is produced from young, well-fed beef cattle. It has abundant marbling (the amount of fat interspersed with lean meat), and is generally sold in restaurants and hotels. Prime roasts and steaks are excellent for dry-heat cooking such as broiling, roasting or grilling.

Choice beef is high quality, but has less marbling than Prime. Choice roasts and steaks from the loin and rib will be very tender, juicy, and flavorful and are suited for dry-heat cooking. Many of the less tender cuts can also be cooked with dry heat if not overcooked. Such cuts will be most tender if braised, roasted or simmered with a small amount of liquid in a tightly covered pan.

Select beef is very uniform in quality and normally leaner than the higher grades. It is fairly tender, but, because it has less marbling, it may lack some of the juiciness and flavor of the higher grades. Only the tender cuts should be cooked with dry heat. Other cuts should be marinated before cooking or braised to obtain maximum tenderness and 

There's no legal requirement for having meat graded and you can buy it ungraded. Ungraded beef can be leaner and tougher and have more connective tissue than graded beef but there's no way to know until you try it. 

Frequent Contributor

Wow, I,just learned a lot more about beef from you ladies. I know one thing, it all seems to be tough and nothing you can depend on no matter where you buy. So I've been ordering mine on tv but now it's getting pricey. Oh to be up north and a meat locker.
Esteemed Contributor

@SapphireGal wrote:

Has anyone ever tried these?  Are they any good?

@Sapphiregal  .... I love Rastelli’s meats ... the only thing I don’t like are the hot dogs ... they are too spicy for me  .. everything else is great!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

They are pretty pricey and I don't want my fresh food coming all iced in a UPS van.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all so much for your replies! Lots of info! I l  love in Texas and we have an abundance of specialty meat markets here, so, I think I will just stick with what I already know to be good and pass on the Rastelli's.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.