Respected Contributor

Curtis Stone Faroe Island Salmon

[ Edited ]

This apparently popular salmon supposedly comes from the very cold waters near Norway.  Look up Faroe Islands and learn a little more about that area, if interested.

A few days ago, at Costco, I bought a three-pound bag of frozen Norway salmon steaks for $24.99.

Betcha they're the same thing that people love buying from Curtis Stone for more money.  His are supposedly skinless, and the Costco salmon has skin on, but that doesn't make much difference to me when cooking.

(I love Curtis Stone's cookware and use it frequently.)

Super Contributor

Re: Curtis Stone Faroe Island Salmon

Curtis Stone has high standards in cooking. Most chefs do. Frozen salmon is not going to taste or be the same. Just isn't.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@roster 

You're probably right, but a lot of information published by "experts" who have opinions say that frozen seafood is fresher when the end user receives or buys it.  It gets flash-frozen shortly after being caught, as opposed to being "previously frozen and thawed" or shipped fresh over some distance.

The Curtis Stone salmon arrives frozen.

Unless I can do the fishing myself (won't happen!), I'll go for frozen and thaw slowly in the fridge if necessary.

Wonder how many chefs can get their hands on really fresh seafood, anyway?  They have freezers in their restaurants.

Respected Contributor

@roster wrote:

Curtis Stone has high standards in cooking. Most chefs do. Frozen salmon is not going to taste or be the same. Just isn't.

Isn't Curtis' salmon going to come to you frozen? I doubt most people intend to eat them all at once and they will have to be frozen.

Respected Contributor

I do not think what you bought at Costco is the same. Salmon steaks and the middle cut of salmon are two entirely different items. I buy Faroe Island salmon fresh all the time and it is now $20.99 a pound, but it is so good.

Valued Contributor

I have purchased Curtis stone's Faroe island salmon.  It was delicious.  Also the Q sells it.  Very Yummy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 

You may be right, but the individually wrapped and frozen salmon from Costco looks mostly identical to the pieces shown by Curtis Stone and are 8-oz. each, acording to the bag they're in.

Costco has an incredible ability to source foods that other companies don't have and sell at a much lower price than elsewhere, probably due to buying in large quantity.

Costco also prides itself on a good "sustainable" and safe seafood sourcing program. I get their periodic magazine and they go into details about the program from time to time.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

If Curtis Stone is selling this salmon, one would think it would be  high quality.

I buy fresh wild salmon & other wild fish in season where I live. Not hard to find on the west coast. Frozen has never tasted good. The texture is one issue. 

Have watched Curtis Stone on PBS where he travels places & cooks. I believe I saw the Norway/Faroe Island show.

He is very interested in sourcing the highest quality food. His restaurant, Maude, is a testament to this.

Honored Contributor

@roster wrote:

I agree.  I ordered salmon at a restaurant once that said "fresh" on the menu and I was assured by the waitress that it was "never frozen".

Well, let's just say, I know frozen salmon, when I'm served it and what I got was not only frozen, but overcooked.  DH and I hadn't been to that particular restaurant for quite a while and had decided we'd stop there, after going to a movie. The price I paid was for fresh salmon, but it certainly wasn't what I got.

His meal was pretty poor also and that was the last time we ever ate there.

Esteemed Contributor

Faroe Island is a farmed indicator if you care about that.