Valued Contributor

Questions about making smoothies

I just got the Blendjet 2 sold by QVC recently as a TSV. I have never made a smoothie, or had one to drink, in my life, so I'm going to be doing a lot of experimenting.

Before I make my first one, I'd like to ask how thick it should be. The other thing I'd like to know is whether it makes any difference if you use fresh fruit versus frozen.  Would greatly appreciate advice from all of you smoothie experts. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about making smoothies

Make them as thick or as thin as you prefer.  I like mine very thick, like a thick milkshake.  It's the frozen ingredients plus ice that make them thick so frozen fruit adds to the thickness.  Unfrozen fruit will thin them, especially if it's juicy. A frozen banana makes them smooth and creamy.  If you make it too thick, just thin it with a little milk. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

The recipes I have for smoothies state frozen fruit which I think makes better smoothies. The thickness depends on you. I like my smoothies really thick, not watery.

Esteemed Contributor

I make mine with frozen veggies and fruit, after a quick microwave.  I add a little bit of milk.  Mine are so thick I eat them with a spoon.  Yum.  It's like ice cream.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I make a smoothie almost every day for lunch.

I use unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk, frozen fruit (bananas, peaches, strawberries) and ice. sometimes I use fresh fruit too, but as others here have said frozen fruit helps make it thicker. I like mine the consistency of a thick slushy.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

I don't like mine too thick. I never use ice. I use frozen fruit and cold orange juice or apple juice. If I have fresh fruit to use up I put it in. I also add a little spinach.

Respected Contributor

I like my smoothies “milkshake” style too, I use equal amounts of milk and frozen fruit plus a little Greek yogurt.

Honored Contributor

I make mine in-between thick and thin--I use almond milk and water as my base, then add greens--spinach, kale, broccoli slaw or cabbage slaw--something  without onions--add a banana and 1 other fruit, usually frozen, but fresh too., a scoop of protein powder  maybe a little oat, or nuts , or a nut butter and even cocoa powder and black beans----have used beets and carrots and other power greens too. Not a fan of celery or wheat grass.. Now all the above, don't all go in the same smoothie . My new love are those tiny oranges and banana---frozen fruits are great--i have a freezer full of berries, pineapple, mangos, peaches. you can use any sweetener or honey if needed--even made one with pumpkin-----just remember, the more fruits you use, the more sugar you have as fruits are carbs---the colors can be a little off putting tho--but usually it is delicious anyway---not many times have I made a smoothies that is gross. You can't taste the greens or cabbage /broccoli slaws and I freeze those  too--so this is so long but make a smoothie at least 5 times a week----and of course I have a Vitamix so all is easy to blend up.

Respected Contributor

I make smoothies for my kids almost every day. I agree with the posters who said to use frozen fruit--it makes for a more substantial smoothie. 

A popular one I make has frozen strawberries, a frozen banana, milk, yogurt (or sour cream if you don't have yogurt, it adds a nice tang), agave syrup or honey or sugar, a splash of vanilla and a couple of spinach leaves if I have them. I sometimes add a little of whatever juice I have on hand.

The fun thing about smoothies is that you can experiment with so many different ingredients, and get creative.

Honored Contributor

I'm on warfarin blood thinner so I have to eat a good sized helping of spinach every day to regulate the blood level.  (There are other things besides spinach, I just settled on a salad every day).  So instead of a salad I occasionally mix that spinach with some kind of fruit, canned or fresh, usually, or fruit juice.   The fruit is the predominate flavor and cold has never held much attraction to me.  Why do I mention this?  Beccause this would be a good way to get vegetables into kids or balking husbands.