Trusted Contributor

Question for good stew makers

I have a small half beef brisket and wonder if I cut it up in cube size pieces if that would work for making stew.  I usually use something like chuck so don't know if this would work or not.  I always make stew in my slow cooker.  Any thoughts?

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for good stew makers

Brisket can be oven braised, poached or pot roasted or cut into chunks for a stew, though for me cooked whole is always better. This slow cooked brisket recipe keeps the boned brisket whole and cooked with winter vegetables, beef stock which results in not only tender beef but a rather tasty rich dark gravy.

Google has recipes for this.

Esteemed Contributor

Not an expert cook by any means........I've used A+++ steaks for stew and it came out chewy and no flavor.  WhY?

Well recently thumbing through recipes on Google - learned something - posting said to only use chuck - chuck and chuck for stew PERIOD. (that's a quote)

Reason:  the fat in a chuck cuts melts down to the liquid - broth and (with the magic of cooking) renders delicious flavors and tenderness.

Who knew?

I wasted some quality steaks in my day - so it's chuck that makes the best stew.

Signed - Chuck -

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Not an expert cook by any means........I've used A+++ steaks for stew and it came out chewy and no flavor.  WhY?

Well recently thumbing through recipes on Google - learned something - posting said to only use chuck - chuck and chuck for stew PERIOD. (that's a quote)

Reason:  the fat in a chuck cuts melts down to the liquid - broth and (with the magic of cooking) renders delicious flavors and tenderness.

Who knew?

I wasted some quality steaks in my day - so it's chuck that makes the best stew.

Signed - Chuck -

@fthunt 

Steak is a tender cut and putting it in the crock pot over cooked it.  Over cooked meat ends up with dryness.

Try cutting up an eye of round.  Rump roast can be great, but dry due to lack of fat.  I use beef broth, burgandy wine, worcheschire, onions and fresh mushrooms on low for hours.  Very good.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG Bingo - you said it real good.......dry meat.. due to lack of FAT.  

We get preached at to eat lean meat for healthier life; but sometime a slab of fat is needed for greasing our digestive systems.......and for more flavor in our foods.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@ECBG Bingo - you said it real good.......dry meat.. due to lack of FAT.  

We get preached at to eat lean meat for healthier life; but sometime a slab of fat is needed for greasing our digestive systems.......and for more flavor in our foods.

@fthunt 

Actually, you don't have to HAVE fat.  It's actually more  "time-moisture".  

In the example, the steak was "cooked to death".  You can do that by mistreating your cut.  The old cookbooks had the key.

Cut it up which tenderizes, then infuse with liquid; heat and time further breaks down.

Honored Contributor

Depends on how you cook it. It's a tough cut so takes longer to get tender.

You could simmer it on stove or put in pressure cooker or slow cooker to get tender enough before you add everything else.

You won't be left with chunks but more fall apart if cooked long enough. It's still going to be beef stew & taste good.

I used to use rump roast that I simmered in Stock pot all day til it got tender enough before adding other ingredients to finish. It was good but took a while.

Now I just make it in the Pressure Cooker.

Honored Contributor

Nope good cuts of lean meat not overcooked or boiled to pieces are wonderful.  I do NOT use chuck because I don't like the fat and the taste that gives to soups and stews.  To me nothing worse than a fatty soup. 

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Depends on how you cook it. It's a tough cut so takes longer to get tender.

You could simmer it on stove or put in pressure cooker or slow cooker to get tender enough before you add everything else.

You won't be left with chunks but more fall apart if cooked long enough. It's still going to be beef stew & taste good.

I used to use rump roast that I simmered in Stock pot all day til it got tender enough before adding other ingredients to finish. It was good but took a while.

Now I just make it in the Pressure Cooker.

@Nightowlz 

We're twins, only I use a crock pot.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all of your comments!