Esteemed Contributor

Question for coffee percolator users

How do you clean yours - if you do? What kind of upkeep is needed to keep it working well? I had one, loved it, but I went back to my keuri g because I'm always in a hurry. I decided to go back to my presto percolator after not using it for a bit. It was ruined when I checked. I've now bought another one and I want to be sure I keep it in good working order. Please advise me!

Honored Contributor

Re: Question for coffee percolator users

There used to be a powdered product you used periodically that kept the inside and the tubes really clean.  Dip It or something like that.  Don't know if it's still made.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I just use regular baking soda.

Esteemed Contributor

That's correct - dip it

I've used a Presto Perk for decades and have a box of dip-it right next to computer to give you all the info I have.  It is very difficult to find - Amazon or somewhere I did and bought like 6 boxes and now down to a couple.

...fill perk with water - add 3 Tablespoons to the basket (no filter) for 8 - 12 cups water.......perk..........let it sit for 15 minutes - dump water out and rinse perk.

I run another cycle of perking with just clear water to give it a good hot rinse.

Wipe all parts with paper towel to remove the stains.......ahead of myself.....THEN run the water rinse!

Distributed out of New Jersey but I really don't know if it's still an active product.   1-800-228-4722

Made in the USA 

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

How do you clean yours - if you do? What kind of upkeep is needed to keep it working well? I had one, loved it, but I went back to my keuri g because I'm always in a hurry. I decided to go back to my presto percolator after not using it for a bit. It was ruined when I checked. I've now bought another one and I want to be sure I keep it in good working order. Please advise me!

If u purchased the Presto elec perk within the last 5 years - it's not going to last long. Over the last 5 years, I had a Presto, 2 Capressos, 2 Farberware (4 cup and 12 cup) and a Hamilton Beach. They lasted between 1-1/2 months to 8 months. I just returned my 2nd Capresso to Costco (made the best hot coffee, but didn't last long). They're made very cheaply in China - and all the brands are made at the same factory and are all defective. When I returned the 2 Capressos at Costco, the woman at the Returns Desk - said they're now made very cheaply.

I just purchased a 5 cup (which is actually a 2-cup) Amazon drip coffeemaker. I've never owned a drip but I was desperate. No more electric perks for me - and I used to love them. 

Respected Contributor

No special cleaning is needed because, when we want percolated coffee, I use the vintage stovetop Pyrex, like the one below. It still makkes the best perked coffee, and the aroma is wonderful. Although we enjoy drip and pour-over style coffeemakers, too, there's a special place for perked:

P0000328121S0027T1.jpg

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

Just use soapy water to wash it out inside, and clean the basket.   Rinse well.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dip-it reigns supreme for cleaning a percolator.  I used it all the time for my Farberware percolator.  Loved it.  I now use a French press so I not longer have to buy it.  It is the best though!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonlady I have a metal stove top one but haven't used it in years.  On your Pyrex - no paper filter required - right?  What are your measurements for 8 oz of water - how much coffee - how long do you perk?

Always love the smell of coffee brewing on the stove. 

Thanx

Respected Contributor

Several years ago, I read online a way to clean the inside of coffee pots that were stainless steel and have been using that method ever since.  

It's pretty simple:  Boil enough water on the stove to make it fill the pot.  Dump in one disherwasher pod or 1/4 cup of liquid dishwasher liquid.  Let it sit for 30 minutes or more.  I usually let it sit for an hour or so as I doing other things.   Empty the water from the pot.  You'll see the dirty gunk from the pot has been lifted and in the water.  Wash the pot out with soap and water and dry.  Your pot will be sparkly clean as if it was new out of the box.  

**I usually keep the stem and basket in the water to clean it all at the same time.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!