Valued Contributor

Question about Oxo Good Grips paring knife packaging

I just received from Kohl's a 3.5" Oxo Good Grips paring knife. After removing the outer packaging, I discovered a small hard plastic "thing" completely surrounding the blade, next to the handle. I can find no way to get this off. It won't slide off either direction, nor can I cut it off. I even called Kohl's to see if they knew how to get this off, but they don't have that particular knife in the store. Would anyone have any idea how to remove this? I've never gotten a knife before that had something like this on it. Thanks for any help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Oxo Good Grips paring knife packaging

@qualityshopper 

Can you pull the plastic off the blade with a needle nose pliers or soak in hot water with dish soap?

Super Contributor

@qualityshopper 

How frustrating! Not having it in my hand, I can't help you. 

I took a look on the web and found their toll free number. 

800-545-4411

(8am-6pm ET, M-F)

As you can see, they are now closed. Hopefully you will have it figured out by the time they re-open. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

could it be part of the handle?  just a guess....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe Google who carries this same Oxo knife in your area?

For me, it's Bed Bath & Beyond.

See if they know. Maybe they've had a customer with the same problem.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper   My guess is the same as @nana59 that it is part of the molded handle since you say it is hard thing completely surrounding the blade next to the handle--do you mean at its base with the rest of the blade along the length is accessible?

If the blade doesn't extend the full length of the handle it is possible that the plastic ring--esp. if it is the same color as the handle--is not meant to be removed but cements/seats the base of the blade securely into the handle.        

_______<__         _______|___ 

|

Esteemed Contributor

@qualityshopper 

Is it like this?

joseph-joseph-elevate-3-5-paring-knife-0-.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper - If it is a plastic blade sheath/cover, have you tried slightly pinching the sides (either both sides at once or front and back at once) right at the base of the cover as you pull to remove it? Sometimes a protective cover can be a bit tight when you first get the knife because the manufacturer wants to make sure it stays in place during transport, but it should loosen up after you remove it a few times. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper   The idea that @loriqvc mentions is a good one if it is a plastic sheath or knife guard.  But I checked my knife set from Kuhn Rikon and their knife sheaths/covers are rigid plastic and they just easily slide off; they can't be "pinched" off from the sides.

Have you got a neighbor or friend nearby that could take a look at it for you?  How frustrating to get a brand new kitchen tool and not be able to use it!  I hope you find a solution and will let us know the outcome.  

Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 - The sheaths on some Oxo knives are unique; I don't own any, but some images in online listings and reviews for them make it appear that they could get stuck: