Honored Contributor

Re: Quality knife set

[ Edited ]

Soligen Steel.  Made in Germany last forever.  

Can be resharpened at home if ever needed.

My father brought us home a set from Germany the year after we were married.  We were thrilled.  They are still in perfect condition, much used, and much loved.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

Another vote for Cutco. Periodically, Costco will have a set of them on sale. My daughter got her set last year at Costco. She loves them.

Respected Contributor

Cutco. I've had my set since 1990...one of the best things I've ever purchased. 

Respected Contributor

Below is the Cutco set I have. Loved it so much I later bought my father and my MIL a set. Sadly, they have both passed on now and their sets have returned to me. Woman Sad 

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone!  His BD is coming quick and I ordered the Cutco Santoko style 2 piece set.  Looking at other brands now to add in the future,

Contributor

Glad you went with Cutco. I call them the best purchase I've ever made. They are not cheap but they are worth every penny. Costco has Cutco reps there every few months (one of those traveling vendor things that they do) and that is a good time to add to your collection. I just bought a set of 5 ($399) and 4 table (steak) knives ($115) for my future daughter-in-law as her shower gift.

I remembered that my mom had some Cutco knives from the 1960s so I gathered hers and mine up and sent them back to be sharpened. You only pay for the shipping which was about $9 and in total I sent 17 knives. Each one came back looking brand new. In the case of three of her knives, they replaced them (due to age) with brand new knives at NO CHARGE.

Their product is quality and their service is excellent. You will never have to buy another knife once you get Cutco.

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022  First some information please.  What kitchen chores do you do most?  Chop veggies, slice meat, slice bread, bone chickens, etc?  How big are your hands, that matters when you talk about the handle.   Are you going to throw them in a drawer?  Are you willing to sharpen them occasionally.

In general, German and Japanese knives are the best.  They are well balanced, sharp, can be kept sharp and will last a long time. 

Some Japanese knives have a different edge angle and are sharper than some German knives, although they may or may not be as sturdy and resist chipping as easily.  If you want to keep really sharp knives, learn how to take care of them, do some reading and find out what different styles are for and think about what you need.  

If you can go to a store and feel of them and see if the balance and the handle suit you.

I wouldn't get a set.  I'd go for 3 or 4 different knives--and you can find very good sales on at Sur La Table, Williams-Sonoma and other places.

If you buy German knives, try to but at least one step up from the least expensive of say Wusthof or Henckles. 

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Warrior2022  First some information please.  What kitchen chores do you do most?  Chop veggies, slice meat, slice bread, bone chickens, etc?  How big are your hands, that matters when you talk about the handle.   Are you going to throw them in a drawer?  Are you willing to sharpen them occasionally.

In general, German and Japanese knives are the best.  They are well balanced, sharp, can be kept sharp and will last a long time. 

Some Japanese knives have a different edge angle and are sharper than some German knives, although they may or may not be as sturdy and resist chipping as easily.  If you want to keep really sharp knives, learn how to take care of them, do some reading and find out what different styles are for and think about what you need.  

If you can go to a store and feel of them and see if the balance and the handle suit you.

I wouldn't get a set.  I'd go for 3 or 4 different knives--and you can find very good sales on at Sur La Table, Williams-Sonoma and other places.

If you buy German knives, try to but at least one step up from the least expensive of say Wusthof or Henckles. 

Thanks for the questions, it made me think.  I am pretty kitchen lazy.  I use a electric mandolin, a pairing knife, a ninja and a serated knife.  However, I have purchased many knives.  

Now my DH, is kitchen king, he slices, dices, chops, debones all by hand.  He has taken over the Instant pot and cooks Keto.  We were making our New Year plans, like what we are going to do different in the new year and he said, "I really like getting that produce box, but we really need a decent knife."

He has always loved cooking and life just got away in the last few years.  My DS is also very much into cooking so thay can test these 2 and see where it goes.

His BD is coming up in the next 2 weeks and I always try to do something nice, since he was shafted on BD's in his early years.  

Thank you for your response.  

Trusted Contributor

@Warrior2022 in your search, you may want to check out knifecenter.com look under their kitchen knives section. 

Respected Contributor

i agree with you. we bought our cutco knives 16 years ago and we still love them.