Respected Contributor

Pure Vanilla Extract

[ Edited ]

Finally the prices have come down to something affordable.  Just saw 16 oz. at Costco, Kirkland brand, for $16. At it's highest,  I saw it there at almost $36.  About time. 

Respected Contributor

That is good to hear. Thanks! I haven't purchased it because the prices are so high. I will be heading to Costco then. I need to get some for baking and for the holidays coming up. 

Honored Contributor

Huh ...  were we also having a vanilla extract shortage, too?   Can't keep track anymore. 

Respected Contributor

I went to Costco last week and noticed the lower priced pure vanilla extract so I grabbed one. 

Honored Contributor

I'm on my last few drops left in one bottle and have another in reserve (yes, I paid a lot for it). I'll be at Costco this weekend so I'll pick up another for the supply closet if the price is down. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Pure Vanilla Extract

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker   Glad you posted this good news from the culinary world.

@Tinkrbl44   No, this shortage started in 2017 when weather impacted growing conditions coupled by rising demands for real vanilla in the food industry due to increased customer preference for real, versus artificial, flavor.

Of course, the adverse conditions of the pandemic added additional stress on the market.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

I stocked up before the price increase. So I didn't have to buy any in the last four years. 

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I stocked up before the price increase. So I didn't have to buy any in the last four years. 

I did too @deeva 

The Spice House warned of the upcoming price increases back then, so I stocked up.

I couldn't believe how high the prices got for real vanilla.

Just started my last bottle recently.

I would not stop baking...so it would have been an evil cost I just would have absorbed.  So glad I waited it out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the Costco price change has more to do with the origin of the vanilla.  Kirkland vanilla extract used to come from Madagascar, which apparently produces a superior quality vanilla extract.  These days it's made in the USA and I believe NOT sold under the Kirkland name.  Just Pure Vanilla Extract.

I don't think it's as good as it once was, however it is just as good (and more economical) than anything you find at the grocery store.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Watkins, raised on all their products and then I sold them for a couple years.

Haven't found a one that didn't taste good or the aches and pains balms work too!

If you buy the Watkins organic lemon extract, there's a recipe on the back of the box using a cake mix for cupcakes that are absolutely delicious.   

Another favorite is Nielsen-Massey extracts.  A little goes a long way, I buy the vanilla bean paste which is absolutely the best.  So far the best prices were on Zulily when the company is featured.