Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

The ONLY ones I save are Bon Maman jelly and jam jars.

@Sooner  I will have to say those are nice looking jars.

@proudlyfromNJ AND good stuff inside!  I love the cherry preserves on yogurt!!!!

Those cherry preserves are also great over vanilla ice cream!

Respected Contributor

Re: Practical Storage

[ Edited ]

I have saved a couple of really great jars from Bertolli tomato sauces (for pasta). 

They are rectangular in shape and have measurement amounts indicated on the side.

By the way, I've begun to really like the chunky  Bertolli "Rustic Cut Pasta Sauce with Hearty Vegetables" that comes in those jars.

Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I have saved a couple of really great jars from Bertolli tomato sauces (for pasta). 

They are rectangular in shape and have measurement amounts indicated on the side.

By the way, I've begun to really like the chunky  Bertolli "Rustic Cut Pasta Sauce with Hearty Vegetables" that comes in those jars.

I've been a fan of the Rustic Cut sauce since it came out, especially the one with sweet peppers, which seems hard to find. It's so much better than regular jar sauce, including Bertolli's other stuff, IMO, and I think the normal (non-inflated online) prices are very reasonable.

Esteemed Contributor

I found Essos glass storage jars with wooden lids on Amazon.  The lids also have a

seal on them.  They are sort of tall and narrow (they may come in other sizes) but I have to say they work great and no funny tastes or smells.  I use my lock and lock for things I won't keep too long for that same reason.

Honored Contributor

I always prefer glass to plastic for storing food.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

Don't people "save jars" anymore?

@Desertdi  No.

I DO...I store excess paint in larger glass jars.  Keeping paint for any length of time in the orignal can is not a good idea....the paint keeps for a long time in a glass jar with the lid on tightly.

Valued Contributor

@rms1954  There is definitely a funny taste with plastic, which makes you wonder what chemical am I ingesting that is so powerful as to contaminate food? Glass is best, with screw on lids, NOT plastic lids.

Honored Contributor

I just saw on the news where they said Ball canning jars are in short supply so save all of your glass jars! 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I just saw on the news where they said Ball canning jars are in short supply so save all of your glass jars! 

Yes they are.  My husband has a ton of thme but he makes jelly and sauces.  He had been looking for them but had a very difficult time locating any,

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Practical Storage

[ Edited ]

@peachesncream wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

The ONLY ones I save are Bon Maman jelly and jam jars.

@Sooner  I will have to say those are nice looking jars.

@proudlyfromNJ AND good stuff inside!  I love the cherry preserves on yogurt!!!!

Those cherry preserves are also great over vanilla ice cream!

@Sooner+@proudlyfromNJ+@peachesncream: Have you seen the Bonne Maman mini jar advent calendars at World Market? We have been buying them for a few years now and LOVE them! The jars seem tiny, but they actually hold the perfect amount for a nicely jammy sandwich, toast, or topping for ice cream or yogurt. The calendars have a wonderful variety of specialty flavors and are always really well crafted; they make great gifts (especially for yourself). If you are interested in checking them out, buy before mid-November, because they sell out quickly...