Occasional Contributor

Anyone else have this issue?

I recently purchased the 8qt Power Pressure Cooker and Eric's cookbook.  There is no browning function on this cooker.  I was trying out a recipe--Island Chicken.  The recipe called for 4 pounds of chicken thighs that you needed to brown.  The instructions were to select the meat/chicken function and set for 30 minutes then brown the chicken.

In the middle of browning the chicken, the timer started counting down like it would if pressure had been achieved like it would when lid was on.  After finishing browning the chicken, I had to unplug the cooker and start it again as I would from the beginning.  Just for information, I was browning the chicken at 2 minutes per side.

This is not the first time this has happened during a recipe.  The first time I thought it was a fluke but not now.

Why would the cooker do this?  Is there something that I am doing incorrectly?

Respected Contributor

Re: Power Pressure Cooker Issue

I don't have this cooker so I'm totally throwing out an idea.  Did you set it for 30  minutes or is this the default setting?  If it is the default setting, can you manually adjust it using a minus button down to say 4 minutes (2 on each side) and at the end of the 4 minutes it would switch to "keep warm" or shut off.  Then proceed to your next step?

I don't even know if this is accurate, I'm guessing.  I have an instant pot and some of the settings are default times, but you can adjust the time using the + and - buttons.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Power Pressure Cooker Issue

The Power Cooker PRO has a brown button for sautéing.
On the Power Pressure Cooker XL press any preset buttons with the lid off to sauté.