Esteemed Contributor

I've never been fond of milk and don't drink it so I buy the powdered milk and mix it up as needed.  I don't really have recipes that call for it or anything but I do use it for mashed potatoes and when I eat a bowl of cereal (which is once or twice a year).  

I've also purchased it for our church's food pantry.  I had never thought about buying it for the food pantry but I was reading a list of really useful things that food pantries can really use and that was on the list.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I remember my mom making it (not sure she mixed with real milk). It was not good.  I can’t remember why because we had a milk man and milk delivered.  This was mid-late sixties.  Now I’m curious. Haven’t thought of powdered milk forever.  Is it in the baking aisle at the grocery store?    

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 

In my grocery store, yes, the powdered milk is near the canned evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk in the baking aisle.

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker   Growing up we drank a lot of milk...5 kids in the family.  Mom would buy whole milk and mix powered milk with the whole milk.  

I don't remember the ratio of dry milk with water,  that she added to the whole milk, but we did not know the difference.

Valued Contributor

Sanalac is still around. I googled it out of curiousity and found it at Walmart and Amazon, among other chains.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop    Thank you.  I had to ask my dad today why would we have had that.  He didn’t recall it, and my sister didn’t either, but my dad said maybe she tried it trying to save money.  He said I know your mom didn’t give me powdered milk.  I remember it, but maybe she did try it, but made it alone vs mixing it.  We loved milk and I know I didn’t like that.  He said she could have had a coupon.  Who knows.  

Pretty funny, she was raised on a dairy farm.  Can’t even think why she thought to get that.  She could have tried it once or twice.  Not sure.  I still love milk.