Respected Contributor

Before I bought a bread maker, I bought powdered milk to use in the recipes.  In the past, I believe powdered milk was used.  To my surprise, it really isn't used that much using a bread machine.  Now I have a canister of powdered milk, no bread machine because I returned it and have no idea what to do with it.  Any suggestions???

Honored Contributor

Re: Powdered Milk

[ Edited ]

Mix it up and use it anytime a recipe calls for milk.  When I was growing up my frugal mom mixed whole milk half and half with powered milk and we drank it.  It tasted best 24 hours after mixing.  After sitting a day, it was indistinguishable from our usual milk.

I use Almond milk for most of my needs but occasionally it doesn't work in a recipe so I keep some powdered milk to use instead.

Use it to mix up batches of nonfat yogurt.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I use a teaspoon ( for my taste) of powdered milk in every cup of my coffee.I used to use regular powdered coffee-mate. I rarely use refrigerated milk..it goes bad before I use it up.

Respected Contributor
If you haven’t opened it, a food pantry would love to have it.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@coffee drinker 

Try this basic white bread recipe. It's delicious, and my husband said it's the best bread I've made.

I used bread flour, not white flour, and medium crust setting.

basic white bread for bread machine.PNG

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Between dad and my brothers drinking a lot of milk, mom would mix a gallon of store bought milk with a gallon of powdered milk to give 2 gallons of milk in the fridge.  There were no complaints about taste.  

Honored Contributor

@RedTop    That's exactly what my mom did.  Remember Sanalac Dry Milk?  We thought it was so much better than others.  Wonder what happened to it?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I've never heard of Sanalac; Mom bought Kroger or Carnation brand back then.  

She also used the powdered milk to make cook and serve pudding for us, including banana pudding, and for milk gravy.  We usually had the largest box the store carried.   

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

Before I bought a bread maker, I bought powdered milk to use in the recipes.  In the past, I believe powdered milk was used.  To my surprise, it really isn't used that much using a bread machine.  Now I have a canister of powdered milk, no bread machine because I returned it and have no idea what to do with it.  Any suggestions???

I also had a bread machine that called for powdered milk, that was 15 years ago, I now have a different machine and you can use regular milk. I made up the rest of the powdered milk and used it in recipes that called for milk. 

Respected Contributor

@Caffeina Thanks for posting the recipe, I'm sure someone will use it, but I returned the bread machine.