Respected Contributor

Paging Campion: perhaps you can help me with an old chicken liver recipe

Hi Campion! I know in one of your posts you said you were a cookbook collector, so I am hoping you can help me. Around 1966-67, my parents hosted a party, and one of the dishes that was brought to us was chicken livers sauteed( I use that word loosely- I was a child and knew nothing) in some kind of sherry. Canned mushrooms were involved ( fresh mushrooms were not available until the 70's). I was in love with this dish- and I have had nothing that even comes close since then. I remember somebody commenting that it was similar to something they had at El Morraco, The Stork Club, or Twenty-One: in short, the "glamour restaurants"....but my parents certainly did not move in those circles! I love food history, and the hallmark of the above named establishments is that table-side cooking was very chic. I wish I could remember more, but I do know it's not to be confused with Rumaki....I think I will make a batch for me to ring in the New Year....I just wish my husband could still enjoy. Thanks, Poodlepet2
Trusted Contributor

Re: Paging Campion: perhaps you can help me with an old chicken liver recipe

Sauteed Chicken Livers with Onions and Mushrooms

Ready in 45 minutes

7 review(s) averaging 4.9. 100% would make again

Top-ranked recipe named "Sauteed Chicken Livers with Onions and Mushrooms"

Take care not to overcook the livers.

"I made this and served it over rice. It was delicious, very rich in flavor. Lack of parsley did not diminish the recipe. There were no leftovers, despite the fact that the recipe was for four servings and only two persons shared it. Yummy and comforting!"

- luvlonghorns

Save Edit or Customize

Recipe

Photos (0)

Nutrition

Notes

Ingredients

Are you making this?

1 pound Chicken livers

1 pound Fresh mushrooms; sliced

1 small Onion; sliced thin

4 tablespoons Butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

salt and pepper; to taste

1/2 cup Dry white wine

2 tablespoons Fresh parsley; chopped

Original recipe makes 4

ServingsResize

Preparation

Clean the livers by removing any connective tissue and cut them in half. Pat dry on paper towels.

Heat the butter and oil, add the mushrooms and onions and saute until nicely brown, stirring occasionally.

Add the chicken livers and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Add the wine and cook, stirring to incorporate any pan drippings, for an additional minute or two. Adjust the seasonings.

Garnish individual servings with parsley.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for posting this: I will give this a try. The only thing I want to change is using some dry sherry instead of wine because I do remember tasting it, and it really added to this dish. Thanks, Poodlepet2
Respected Contributor

On 12/22/2014 Poodlepet2 said: Thank you for posting this: I will give this a try. The only thing I want to change is using some dry sherry instead of wine because I do remember tasting it, and it really added to this dish. Thanks, Poodlepet2

Excellent recipe and very like what I do. I couldn't have found a better recipe myself and when I make this, I happen to use sherry myself. You can also use dry marsala, but I find it slightly too sweet, personally. Howevever, sweet flavors with liver are frequently paired, the sweet wine masking the slightly bitter taste.

You can also substitute shallots for onions for a more delicate result.

I carefully trim the chicken livers--cut them into the single lobes from the "double" that is connected by the ligament, and pull off any fat. I also buy mine at the poultry shop (we have one) rather than the grocery store for maximum freshness. I think it makes a difference; the ones I have tried in the tubs at the grocery store sometimes seem to be mechanically damaged and don't work up as well.