Valued Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

Saturday a 20 piece set of Temptations dinnerware was on my wishlist for $59. Today the price jumped to $105! Since it’s September 2, and Temptations is made in China, I can only assume that this is the results of tariffs. Needless to say, my wishlist (and purchases) will be dwindling.

@Jasmine19 

It had to be some type of special pricing on the item you are questioning and not tariffs.  The special pricing time probably expired.  You can always call customer service and ask about increase because they will be able to access the previous pricing info.  And if you are really interested they may be able to give you a price adjustment as a courtesy.  They are very helpful

A tariff is assessed when the goods arrive at port of entry in the U.S.  Nothing that arrived yesterday or today could possibly be on the market already.  It may have been subject to a previously imposed tariff but most likely missed the previous tariff assessment date too.  There is a substantial time lag from when items arrive at ports, to being picked up by the trucks & delivered to warehouses, and containers unloaded and stocked, so the item you are interested in could have arrived 4-5 months ago or more at port of entry.  You may be interested in reading this article about tariffs and take note of the following sentences...

"Tariffs are a tax on imported products and are paid by U.S.-registered firms to U.S. customs when goods enter the United States."

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection collects the tax on imports. The agency typically requires importers to pay duties within 10 days of their shipments clearing customs."

Here is the link where that info was found...☺

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/02/heres-why-us-importers-and-consumers-pay-trumps-tariffs-not-china.ht....

Respected Contributor

Re: Ouch....tariffs?

[ Edited ]

Some Temptations were on sale in August as some kind of an anniversary promotional deal.  Maybe this set was part of the promotional items presented and reverted to the original QVC price on September 1.  

QVC Customer Care
Occasional Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

We know that item was purchased by QVC  sometime ago and has been in QVC's warehouse before the tariffs.

I have had an idea for several years. If everything is to be made in China, then we could just buy directly from China and save the American middle man's cost to us. They raise prises on us, just go straight to the Chinese site and buy directly from them.Our American middlemen/women will be furious because they do so love to raise their prices on us.Heck, just cut them out. This is an option if all else fails.I have bought directly from China on Amazon and Ebay for some things. It works.Just a thought that is in the back of my mind got when all else fails.God Bless You and have a nice day.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ouch....tariffs?

[ Edited ]

@Jasmine19 

I doubt the price increase is solely from the tariffs.  

Most likely, it is that the "31 DAYS OF TEMPTATIONS" is over!  I had it in my wish list also - of course, today it is $105 as you stated.  

I guess it was a special price for the promo.  At $105 I wouldn't buy it for sure especially since I read the reviews-- even if they are offering EZ pay.  I only wanted it for my table scape (decor) honestly, her dishes are NOT worth this type of $$$ IMO.

I'll find something else comparable at Pier I, HomeGoods WM or at Old Time Pottery - everyone has "fall" dishes at a better price I'm sure.

oops:  just saw many replies stated the "31 days of Temptations" promo...

Honored Contributor

Same thing can happen when gold spikes.

Everyone will raise their prices, even when they acquired the pieces before the spike.

I've mentioned this on other threads.

I just purchased a ring here.

It was at an event price $212, then it went up in price to $224, now it's on clearance at $249.

I've worked retail but for the life of me, can't figure out QVC pricing.

On the subject of tariffs, hopefully if we can hold out during the short term, the long term will be beneficial.

Honored Contributor

I don't buy anything made in China. Never have, never will.

"Pure Michigan"
Occasional Contributor

If it's her dinnerware, it's a clearance price.  I don't know why it shows a higher price on your wishlist---I still show both sets of 20 piece dinnerware at the low clearance price. Both basketweave and floral lace patterns are on clearance.  Go to clearance, as is, and kitchen

Respected Contributor

Economists are predicting the tariffs/taxes will cut into your household budget anywhere from $400-$1,000 dollars per year. Depending on your income. And it is not just a China tariff war. Tariffs are on Mexico, Canada and some European countries goods. So expect to pay more for other goods also. Whether goods are already in the wharehouse or not. Prices will go up.

Respected Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

Economists are predicting the tariffs/taxes will cut into your household budget anywhere from $400-$1,000 dollars per year. Depending on your income. And it is not just a China tariff war. Tariffs are on Mexico, Canada and some European countries goods. So expect to pay more for other goods also. Whether goods are already in the wharehouse or not. Prices will go up.

May 2019

(WTO) announced that a solution has been reached over a trade dispute  between the US, Mexico and Canada regarding tariffs on aluminum and steel.

The U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Canada and Mexico have been lifted.