Respected Contributor

Does frying in a large pot of hot oil bother you?

I ask this because my daughter said this morning that she has never seen me do it and she's almost 50.  I have done an inch or so in a pan with higher sides but not a dutch oven full.

I've watched Ree Drummond do it and with those flowly sleeves on her tops no less.  Hope, not for me.

Truthfully that much hot oil scares the bejeebers out of me.  Always has, but also I just don't want food in that much grease anymore.  Plus storing all that used oil would be a pain.

Does it make anyone else nervous?

Honored Contributor

Re: Does frying in a large pot of hot oil bother you?

Yes. If it’s very deep, it scares me because I suffered some pretty bad burns doing this. I fry in shallow oil, or enough to sauté and use my air fryer since I don’t like greasy food anyway. 

Respected Contributor

I recently realized, I really don't like using LARGE pots.  I've downsized everything;  i.e., 8 Qt Instantpot down to 3 Qt, and a 12 inch pan down to 8", which I bought this morning.

Before I fixed breakfast, I went out and bought an 8" Copper Chef pan.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

I wouldn’t do it.  Pretty much all I fry is hamburger, or sometimes zucchini in a bit of olive oil.  

Even if I wasn’t nervous about all that hot oil....I don’t need deep fried food!

Respected Contributor

I don’t mind using a large pot especially for batches of soup and chili, etc. But to fry, it just takes so much oil to fill a pot to simply fry a few items. In the past when I’ve had to do it, I have strained the oil and reused it.

I simply don’t fry that many items anymore, I prefer to drizzle with oil and bake in an oven on a large sheet pan.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  Don't take this the wrong way but when I read the title of our post I thought  "yes, that would hurt a lot!"

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids   Oh gosh, I need to actually proof before I hit post.  I have been giggling since I read that.  My DD just asked what I was laughing at.

Honored Contributor

It's not my thing, either.  But I do recall a time when I had a couple different fryers so I was using the large amount of oil.  At the end you mentioned the storing - yeah, that's where it got me.   You'd have the large vessel with all that oil in it and they usually came with a snap on lid at that time, so you could put it in the refrigerator to store.

Here's where it went bad for this klutz - one time I was either taking the vessel out or moving it or something and I let it fall on my floor.   YIKES!   Oil everywhere and under things and I just wanted to move and find another place to live.  Smiley Very Happy

I only do what I guess is a shallow fry now.  A little butter and a little olive oil and I'm set.  So far, no calamities.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I've always used deep frying machines for large amounts of oil.  Now my deep fryer is stored out in the garage and I have a medium sized Le Crueset pot on the stove top that has about 2-3 inches of oil in it that I needed for something and there it sits because I don't want to waste it.  I suppose I'll fry up some french fries one of these days to assuage my guilt for having it there.  Eventually I'm going to have to get rid of it but TPTB don't make it easy where I live.

Long flowy sleeves around a hot stove make me nervous, period.

Honored Contributor

It wouldn't bother me, but we just don't fry anything.  We have an airfryer and we don't even use it much.  

We go out for some fried catfish or a chicken fried steak once in a blue moon, but basically we're not fried food people.