Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

While I agree that is a big jump, August was the "31 days of Temp-tations".  Maybe it was a promotional price.

Good point!  Promotional pricing comes to an end.

I've made a couple of purchases today.  Some very good Labor Day sales still going on.  

Valued Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia That’s probably true but it’s still a huge jump in price.

Respected Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

We know that item was purchased by QVC  sometime ago and has been in QVC's warehouse before the tariffs.

I Do Agree !

Respected Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:
Again w/the tafiffs.

Now we blame every problem we have on the tariffs.

Not everything, but much because it's true. Many companies are raising prices preemptively.  Some use it as an excuse to price-gouge. 

I take issue with the term "price gouging".  It is gouging only if the merchandise is a necessity of life. For non necessary items you are free not to buy if you don't like the price.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Ouch....tariffs?

[ Edited ]

@froggy wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:
Again w/the tafiffs.

Not everything, but much because it's true. Many companies are raising prices preemptively.  Some use it as an excuse to price-gouge. 

I take issue with the term "price gouging".  It is gouging only if the merchandise is a necessity of life. For non necessary items you are free not to buy if you don't like the price.

Feel free to take issue. 

There is the legal definition and there is the dictionary definition. General usage allows for items that are not necessities. 

This is one legal explanaton:

Price gouging is often hard to define, and is often described vaguely as charging "unconscionably" high prices.

Definitions and statutes vary state-to-state.

And, if we're going to be technical, you are free not to buy necessities, too. 

Furthermore and finally, where in my post did I specify that my price-gouging comment referred to necessities or non-necessities?  I made a general statement, specifying no item(s) in particular. 

Valued Contributor

I took it to be a temporary discount, one I wish I could have used but don't need a whole set. Discount gone now. So not clearance exactly, temporary.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Again w/the tafiffs.

@Group 5 minus 1.  If it's a price increase, it's probably justified.   Doesn't affect millionaires; it's the rest of us that it hurts.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

It is reprehensible to almost double the price of an item that is sitting in a warehouse! I have many things on my wishlist and very few go down in price permanently, almost all go up, even those that are supposed to be on clearance.

If there are tariffs on temp-tations, I can't imagine they would be at that rate! And increase the price on the new shipments, not on merchandise that were not taxed. That is just disgusting.

Honored Contributor

A well-known department store that I shop online has great sales.  A $39.00 top could be on sale for $9.99.  If the sale is "through Sunday" and you wait and purchase the next week, the price could be $19.99.  I  don't think the store is "cheating customers", but you either shop when the sale is on or possibly lose the opportunity for that price.    QVC does have the right to change their prices which they have been doing right along.  QVC doesn't have good markdowns like many other stores do.  I also notice the last few months Amazon has increased a lot of their prices.   I have removed several items from my "subscribe and save."

Respected Contributor

Re: Ouch....tariffs?

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Again w/the tafiffs.

Don't think that was the point of the post (i.e., blaming 'everything' on 'the tariffs'....).