Trusted Contributor

If one is concerned about the hungry, how about donating to a hunger charity or volunteering at a food pantry?

Respected Contributor

Since people got lawsuit happy, things like this happen.

Honored Contributor
On 9/21/2014 chickenbutt said:

Thanks for that info, Sidsmom. That was a fun read. Food-styling is a whole art in and of itself.

I learned about the 'photo tricks' yrs ago when I did print work (model) for dept catalogs..('natural' glow using Vaseline, tape where tape should never be (!), stuff like that), so it doesn't surprise me they do that w/ food. Wish Photo Donna would read this & give us more secrets!!

Honored Contributor

It's a liability issue.

New Contributor

I emailed QVC about this issue directly and received the following response...

Thank you for emailing QVC.

I will be happy to assist you today. In response to your question, the QVC
kitchen is very creative with the use of the food that is used for on-air
presentations and photo shoots. Although we run our kitchen similar to a
commercial kitchen, the recycling of food is not something you'll find as a
standard practice in the restaurant business. It is though at QVC!

The kitchen tries to reuse all grocery items they use on air the best they
possibly can. For example, the celery, carrots, and tomatoes you may see
being chopped with an item may end up in soup or stock for future on-air
items.

Our food stylists are very conscientious about recycling food to try and
prevent any unnecessary waste.

It has been a pleasure assisting you. We look forward to serving you again
in the future!

So, apparently they do consider consumption when preparing the food for on air demonstrations and according to QVC their preparation standards are similar to any commercial kitchen. I would imagine, as many of you say, that much of the food may be inedible after being altered for air. However, I am glad to know they are conscious of reusing food, recycling food, and overall consumption. Let's hope QVC donates what can be consumed, such as products they order to much of or that has not been altered/contaminated to those in need. As has been suggested, this is the "real" world, and food waste is a "real" issue that could address the "real" nutrition needs of many people. With a corporation like QVC that is on air 24 hours a day and presents food items day after day, corporate responsibility is necessary to assure the business has a positive impact on the community it touches. I am glad to hear they are aware of the problem and doing what they can to address it, as I, and hopefully all of you, will do the same in our personal lives!

Valued Contributor
On 9/21/2014 lolakimono said:

I believe others have chimed in before that much of the food they make is not "edible" because it has been treated with products to make it appear more "yummy", like they do with food styling in magazines. There are a lot of products with chemicals to give the browned appearance, a glaze on top, or to preserve the appearance of juiciness/freshness of certain items.

True but the hosts taste some of the on air food.

Honored Contributor

I don't think feeding the needy with trash is very charitable.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor
On 9/21/2014 paShar said:

I didn't see the program but local health laws may prevent them from being able to give cut food to an outside agency. They probably could give any that hadn't been tampered with but I don't think anyone would take, for example, a sliced cucumber or tomato.

I agree, though, it does seem to be a waste. If they put it out on a tray or plate, the staff and crew would probably be happy to snack on it.

I work at a farmer's market. The vendors aren't allowed to donate fresh produce due to county regulations. Very stupid.

As for the on air food waste, it's television. It might not be real food.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor
On 9/21/2014 spindlegirl said:
On 9/21/2014 lolakimono said:

I believe others have chimed in before that much of the food they make is not "edible" because it has been treated with products to make it appear more "yummy", like they do with food styling in magazines. There are a lot of products with chemicals to give the browned appearance, a glaze on top, or to preserve the appearance of juiciness/freshness of certain items.

True but the hosts taste some of the on air food.

*sigh* They have 'beauty shot' food and there are always some palatable samples for the host to taste. It's two separate entities.

Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone actually seen a host or a chef eat the food? If I pay attention that closely, I will see them put something in their mouths, but then the camera will go elsewhere. I don't remember seeing them swallow.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.