Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oh, no! I didn't expect this result!

I decided to create a lighthearted Google Survey to poll my family about Christmas Eve dinner.  There will only be 10 of us, but  a lot of different dietary preferences, so I figured I'd ask for opinions regarding salad, pasta dish, vegetarian dish, side dishes and dessert.  So far, with only half the responses turned in, lasagna is in the lead.

So, what's the problem?  It's my least favorite. I never expected everyone to opt for it.  I am making a vegetarian dish, but I figure if they want lasagna, I might as well make it vegetarian as well.

Here's my question... how do I make a really special, tasty lasagna without meat sauce?  If anyone has a tried and true recipe and has time to share, I'd really appreciate it.

By the way, these were the pasta options...

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 5.50.35 PM.png

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Oh, no! I didn't expect this result!

@house_cat -Substitute the meat with eggplant. So good! Cube the eggplant, saute garlic in olive oil first, for a minute or two, add eggplant, cook eggplant down to soft consistency and add your regular sauce ingredients. Simmer on low for a couple hours. 

⚓️
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try looking on Food Network or All Recipes websites.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I don't understand, but if most of your family is asking for lasagna, why make it vegetarian? The best lasagna isn't vegetarian! JMO!

Honored Contributor

Look for spinach and artichoke lasagna recipe. Omgosh, so good!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I guess I don't understand, but if most of your family is asking for lasagna, why make it vegetarian? The best lasagna isn't vegetarian! JMO!

5 out of 10 of us don't eat meat.  At first I figured they could eat the vegetarian dish, but if I can make the lasagna also a vegetarian option that would be more inclusive.

@LoveMyBaby 

I love the idea of putting the eggplant in it. My family all loves eggplant, in fact, one of the vegetarian options was eggplant parmesan.  I won't make both eggplant parm and lasagna because they are too similar, but if I can combine the two, that sounds like a win/win.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

i like substituting the meat with squash, zucchini, and shredded carrots.....delicious and colorful!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Could you make 2 lasagna.  One with meat and one without.  Make a regular size meat one if that's the majority and a small meatless.  Add a tossed salad and bread/rolls and done.  I think it sounds like a winner.  You can prepare everything ahead of time and sit back with the family.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat 

I  absolutely love ❤️ eggplant, and when i make it in my sauce, it's a family 'rave'.

I make the eggplant sauce as mentioned above but we have sliced it lengthwise, fry it, and use it as a layer in the lasagna. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@house_cat -

A lot of people are not aware of this but cheese is one of the least vegetarian options you can have.

To make it vegetarian, make sure you get cheese with vegetable enzymes. Trader Joes has some options and maybe Harris Teeter.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"