Respected Contributor

Re: Oh, no! I didn't expect this result!

Hey @house_cat, you're doing a bait & switch, lol! That says lasagna not vegetarian lasagna, change it & the count will plummet..if it isn't meat sauce, it's not lasagna. Enjoy your family gathering.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

These vegetarians were very strick vegans for many years, as were my husband and I.  Thankfully, they've lightened up a little and will eat cheese in moderation.  

@GCR18 

Yes. I'm going to need two trays anyway, so making one of each is a good option.

@LoveMyBaby 

I like the sliced eggplant idea very much.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 

That was my first thought, as well, but three of those who chose the lasagna are vegetarians, so I'm assuming the opposite is true. I think they assumed it was meatless.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I am of Italian decent. Often I make lasagne with just tomato sauce.  Why would you need meat sauce?  The Ricotta cheese is full of protein and you do not need to serve a meat with it.

If you feel the need to supply a meat, make side of meatballs cooked in sauce and serve separately, but it surely isn't needed.

Respected Contributor

The

@house_cat wrote:

@kitcat51 

That was my first thought, as well, but three of those who chose the lasagna are vegetarians, so I'm assuming the opposite is true. I think they assumed it was meatless.

Oh, I just teasing you...I tried a vegetarian version of my lasagna & my family wasn't pleased, they want meat sauce so it was a one & done. Good Luck, hope you find a really good recipe. Enjoy.

Contributor

Hi, vegetarian here. I applaud your efforts of being inclusive! Also a research/stats wonk-- just wanted to note that from what I can see from the picture you posted, as a viewer it appears that the lasagna is the only veg option offered, so that may be skewing the results. If I saw that, I'd think it was possibly the only one I could partake, since it doesn't mention meat and all others do.

Honored Contributor

@mmm12 

Yes. You're right, but I also had choices for vegetarian main dishes.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I make it  with zucchini  . I  cut it  via a slicer in the julienne  cut . 

I then mix it in with my ricotta cheese, eggs  and  cottage cheese. I add  spices  fennel seed, basil, oregano , salt & pepper  . Then layer this inbetween no boil noodles   . You can use low fat  cheeses if you prefer . You can add meatless sauce  or with meat sauce.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat  I have only made vegetarian lasagne during Lent.  Believe me when I tell you it is then that I REALLY feel the sacrifice that is Lent.  I wouldn't dream of burdening a nice lady like you with the recipe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GCR18 wrote:

Could you make 2 lasagna.  One with meat and one without.  Make a regular size meat one if that's the majority and a small meatless.  Add a tossed salad and bread/rolls and done.  I think it sounds like a winner.  You can prepare everything ahead of time and sit back with the family.

Sounds like a good option to me..plus you can make it ahead & freeze it.

I'm wondering if those who go meatless also go without cheese as well?  My DD's boyfriend is vegan.  He'll eat no animal products.

ETA:  I just noticed that they are not vegans...that certainly gives you more options!