Trusted Contributor

I love to cook and bake this time of year........for my dad and others, and not so much for me......but I just looked at the whole picture, as I have to drive so far for just the basics, and I know people do not believe this......BUT........Aldi's =114 miles one way.....Trader Joes =83 miles one way, Costo =80 miles one way, BJ's (that I prefer over SAMS) = 229 miles one way, Whole Foods =92 miles, one way, and last SAMS =53 miles one way........{#emotions_dlg.crying} Be thankful if you have such places near you........It is an all day, 8 hour adventure for me just to go and buy groceries......{#emotions_dlg.sad} I have to go to a meeting tomorrow just, way south of Atlanta, and am going to go to a meat store, hoping to at least get some bulk sausage, but it is 3 hours away........just for a meeting............{#emotions_dlg.scared}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

Re: Oh.....How I wish........

There must be a reason why you chose to live so far from civilization. Focus on that. I wouldn't be able to live like that. It would be like wasting my life driving for here to there.

Honored Contributor

Bless your heart....I grew up this way. My dad was a dirt farmer/rancher & mom had to raise 4 kids 8 yrs apart..3 square meals, chores....and grocery shopping for us was 50 miles, one way, for us (just a larger grocery store...no Walmart back then). Once a month, we made the trek & made it an all day event...weather permitting, of course!! We had 3 large chest style freezers that Mom filled to the brim.....to this day my sister & I still marvel..HOW did Mom do all this??!! Just amazing, amazing planning!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/12/2014 chrystaltree said:

There must be a reason why you chose to live so far from civilization. Focus on that. I wouldn't be able to live like that. It would be like wasting my life driving for here to there.

Not everyone lives in a planned suburban community with Costco down the road. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Wolfie, I hear ya. Whole Foods is 2 1/2 hrs away so I don't get there often. Costco is 2-3 hours and I've never set foot in one nor a Sam's. Dunno what BJ's is. Nor Wegman's, etc. And I really do miss ethnic specialty stores like Polish Market.

For some balance I wouldn't trade the views of the water nor the snowmobiles in the dead of winter. And it is a commute to work but Smokey Bear greets me as I enter a National Forest on the way home.

Born & raised in The Very Big City you can keep it. I do miss shopping but I make my scheduled shopping trips.

Esteemed Contributor

Can you order any of your supplies from Amazon or Walmart for home delivery?

I couldn't bear to be that far from shopping! even grocery shopping

Honored Contributor

There is definitely a trade off for living "out", but if we have the health and the means to do the travel, it is a wonderful life.

Those are very long commutes you have to make for basic things, but with good planning and preparation, it can be done.

Safe travels, and best of luck getting all you are looking for in this trip.

Esteemed Contributor

Where do you buy ice cream?????

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

Snowpuppy: I am with you. My DH and I retired to northeast Ohio, to a lovely farm. I look out my kitchen window and see our very own woods, the Fall color was wonderful. On the down side, most of the stores mentioned by the OP are a long drive away from us as well. I have adjusted my cookie assortment tp gp along with the local stores' inventory.

Love, love, love Ohio!

Super Contributor

All the stores you mentioned are 2 hours from me also but at least I have regular grocery stores in my town. Don't you have a Publix or Winn-Dixie or even a Walmart?

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Super Contributor

Shopping aside, what about doctors, dentists and hospitals and pharmacies--how far away are they?