Respected Contributor

Paging Lalamommy about tamarind

Hi! We met on the maple pecan topic and I asked for suggestions in cutting some of the sweetness. I had a question about adding soy sauce, but you suggested tamarind. The only thing available in my grocery store is tamarind nectar: I am pretty sure there is a difference between that and juice. I love to try new things: what are you specifically suggesting? Thanks Poodlepet
Honored Contributor

Re: Paging Lalamommy about tamarind

Tamarind comes in pods ( it's natural form), a paste which is very thick and generally comes in square packages and then there is the jars of concentrate which sometimes says paste but it's diluted with water and pourable nothing like the blocks of paste. I think the easiest to work with is the jars of concentrate. You don't want the tamarind drinks, those are all sweetened. Worcestershire sauce and Pickapeppa both have tamarind in them and I use them in a pinch if I'm out of concentrate or if the flavor profile is compatible with the dish I'm making.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

Hi Poodlepet, I agree with Jaxmom, go with the concentrate or paste, but just look at the ingredients, because you want it free of additional unnecessary ingredients. Tamarind is very different from soy sauce in pretty much every way. It's found mostly as a staple ingredient in Indian food. Very rich and a little sour, with a hint of natural sweetness. It's got, how they say...."umami". Nice to meet you, by the way Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

jaxs, I have the paste but no clue how to use it. I don't remember why I bought it.

Any suggestions?

Poodle, I got the paste from an online Thai grocer. I see the pods that jaxs is referring to at the market.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Frequent Contributor

On 11/11/2014 HonnyBrown said:

jaxs, I have the paste but no clue how to use it. I don't remember why I bought it.

Any suggestions?

Poodle, I got the paste from an online Thai grocer. I see the pods that jaxs is referring to at the market.

It makes an excellent addition to any marinade! Also, you can use a teaspoon when making a beef roast for added flavor in the juices of the roast. Even a tiny amount in a home vinaigrette would be divine.

Here is a discussion on tamarind paste uses on chowhownd for some inspiration http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/308569

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Any suggestions?

You mean the paste in the block form? You can cut some off and then dilute it with water in the blender. Say about 6 oz of paste to about 12oz of water. I personally like it pourable. I just find it mixes into a dish easier that way. I usually use it in curries, in chana masala, it's great in chutney, as a dipping sauce and it's also used in some Mexican cooking. You can sweeten it and dilute with water and make an agua fresca drink. It's also used in some Caribbean recipes.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks jaxs and LaLa!

I used to frequent Chowhound, but stopped for some reason. I need to subscribe again! I loved their "Recipe of the Day."

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

Thank you all for the information. I know it's used in a lot of Middle Eastern cooking and there a couple of Halal grocers in Fort Myers. I will see what I can find. I love trying new things! Poodlepet