Trusted Contributor

I'm saddened to say on Wednesday September 24th I had a Heart Attack. I was released on Friday 26th. I'm 55 years old. this is a wake up call for me and my Family. The reason I'm writing is to ask in help with cooking. I don't eat poultry of any kind. I'm looking for Cookbook Recommendations. If you have any helpful advice please share.

Super Contributor

I'm sorry to hear you had a heart attack--very scary! Glad you made it!

One of my favorite cookbooks is a collaboration between the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association.

It includes nutrition information for each recipe, and there is another version for cooking for 2.

To check out some of the AHA's other cookbooks, go to: shop.heart.org

They also have lots of good info on heart health on their site: heart.org

Trusted Contributor

Thank You sciencegeek, I will check those books out. I will now have to change or alter my Recipes as well. This happened so quick I can hardly believe it myself. I'm so glad to post here. Thank You! Smile

Honored Contributor

Katey, I'm very sorry to hear about your heart attack! How scary & I wish you well on the road to recovery. I'm afraid that I don't have any particular cookbook recommendations.

If you don't mind would you share what your symptoms were? I know that the symptoms that a woman gets tends to be very different than those of a man but it seems so confusing. Some symptoms can be very subtle from what I understand.

Trusted Contributor
On 9/29/2014 haddon9 said:

Katey, I'm very sorry to hear about your heart attack! How scary & I wish you well on the road to recovery. I'm afraid that I don't have any particular cookbook recommendations.

If you don't mind would you share what your symptoms were? I know that the symptoms that a woman gets tends to be very different than those of a man but it seems so confusing. Some symptoms can be very subtle from what I understand.

Hello haddon9, I'm more than happy to give you my symptoms. First let me say Men and Women's symptoms are different. I woke up with a pain in my left jaw at the time I thought it was inside my mouth it was outside. I also had some steady pain in the middle of my Chest not hurting to bad. What really bothered me was the tightness in the middle of my Chest. I was foolish in that I waited three hours before going to ER. I have had the Tightness in my Chest and it went away. This time it didn't go away and I had more Symptoms. My Husband drove me to the Hospital and I walked in. Needless to say the Nurses and Doctor was upset 911 was not called. Neither myself or my Husband thought I was having a Heart Attack. I had a Coronary Artery on the right side 100% blocked. The cleaned it out and I have a stint in there. Heart Disease is Hereditary in my Family. I hope this helps.

Trusted Contributor

Katey, I am glad that you made it, but I am so sorry that you had to endure such a terrible experience. I have read that the symptoms are different for men and women, thank you for the information that you gave us. I am so glad that you made it and wish you the best on your road to recovery. For my health/heart issues I am using a number of recipes from a book by Joel Fuhrman M.D., Eat to Live Cookbook.

Trusted Contributor
On 9/29/2014 mzlg said:

Katey, I am glad that you made it, but I am so sorry that you had to endure such a terrible experience. I have read that the symptoms are different for men and women, thank you for the information that you gave us. I am so glad that you made it and wish you the best on your road to recovery. For my health/heart issues I am using a number of recipes from a book by Joel Fuhrman M.D., Eat to Live Cookbook.

Thank you mzlg, I'm very happy to still be here. I'm happy to help in any way I can with the symptoms. I or my Husband should have called 911 we just didn't know. The time I waited was too long really. The Hospital did really kind of chew my Husband out for driving me and not calling 911. I hope my information may help someone if need be. I'm now making huge changes that has to do with my Health. I will admit I smoked up to the point of getting in the Truck to go to Hospital. I haven't smoked since I was admitted to the Hospital. I'm trying hard to make sure I quit for good. I also have High Cholesterol,Type 2 Diabetes and now Coronary Heart Disease. So I have a lot of things to battle and get under control. Hope all this helps....

Super Contributor

I am glad that you are okay and back home! Go to the American Heart Association's website www dot heart dot org and search for recipes. There are many heart-healthy recipes there on that site.

Keep well.

Super Contributor

Hi, so very happy you are doing so well, and glad that it wasn't more serious since you waityed so long. I might have as well. Mine wasn't painful, but I noticed pain. I hurt in my back, in the middle, and on the side of my neck. I thought I had pulled a muscle.

Yes, I know for sure that women's symptoms can vary widely from the classic men's symptoms. That often gets us in trouble because we write it off as other things. We have to educate ourselves as to how many different ways it can feel so we don't wait like you and I did !!

The most important thing ladies,is PERSISTENCY !!!!! Any type of unusual pain that is in the chest, jaw, back, or arm area that does not go away, or increases on exertion can be a heart-related pain. And don't consider a younger age out !! Teens and very young adults have had serious heart problems. Not to scare you, but always better safe and sorry !!!

I never had the traditional "elephant sitting on my chest" symptoms. I had no frontal chest symptoms either. But I ended up finding out that I have a major blood clot occluding my widpwmaker, a very important artery. One inch over and it would be a killing myocardial infarction and I would die in less than about two minutes.

Worse, they went to put in a stent and found I can't have one because they don't make them in the size I need. So I am walking around on heart medication and baby aspirin. The only thing I can do is to watch my diet and exercise. AND PRAY it doesn't move.

Ladies, eat well, exercise, don't smoke, and know your body and it's normal signs and symptoms. And if you feel unusual, go to your doctor without hesitation. The life you save may be your own !!

Blessings to each of you. Smile

Trusted Contributor
On 9/30/2014 hopeQ1 said:

Hi, so very happy you are doing so well, and glad that it wasn't more serious since you waityed so long. I might have as well. Mine wasn't painful, but I noticed pain. I hurt in my back, in the middle, and on the side of my neck. I thought I had pulled a muscle.

Yes, I know for sure that women's symptoms can vary widely from the classic men's symptoms. That often gets us in trouble because we write it off as other things. We have to educate ourselves as to how many different ways it can feel so we don't wait like you and I did !!

The most important thing ladies,is PERSISTENCY !!!!! Any type of unusual pain that is in the chest, jaw, back, or arm area that does not go away, or increases on exertion can be a heart-related pain. And don't consider a younger age out !! Teens and very young adults have had serious heart problems. Not to scare you, but always better safe and sorry !!!

I never had the traditional "elephant sitting on my chest" symptoms. I had no frontal chest symptoms either. But I ended up finding out that I have a major blood clot occluding my widpwmaker, a very important artery. One inch over and it would be a killing myocardial infarction and I would die in less than about two minutes.

Worse, they went to put in a stent and found I can't have one because they don't make them in the size I need. So I am walking around on heart medication and baby aspirin. The only thing I can do is to watch my diet and exercise. AND PRAY it doesn't move.

Ladies, eat well, exercise, don't smoke, and know your body and it's normal signs and symptoms. And if you feel unusual, go to your doctor without hesitation. The life you save may be your own !!

Blessings to each of you. Smile

Hello hopeQ1, you explained it maybe better than I did. I had the Jaw pain thought it was a toothache though the pain was outside on Jaw not inside. I had some chest pain didn't hurt too bad. My big thing that bothered me was tightening of the chest and difficulty breathing. I kept trying to take big breaths to try to feel better. I'm on several medications I have been taking a small dose 81 mg for years since my Mother passed away at age 42 of a heart attack one night the next morning passed away of a massive heart attack. I now take that aspirin and a pill for my heart everyday and my Doctor stressed of all my pills those I can't ever forget daily. I also take a blood pressure pill in which I didn't have high blood pressure and a cholesterol pill. All the pills work together. I was told Heart Attacks on the right side are better than the left side. The left side is the main working of the Heart and Death is more likely. I am very lucky and grateful to be here and will do what I'm suppose to stay here and be healthy. Remember if you have these symptoms call 911.