Respected Contributor
Lalamom, that is the book I was talking about- they both answered a lot of questions I. have wondered about for years..... and cardiologists are paying attention to what they are saying..... Poodlepet
Trusted Contributor
On 10/2/2014 BOYINTX said:

Bless you ! I ask that God strengthen your heart. I see some great advice here from so many and you can see how many care.

Prayers and JOY !

Thank You BOYINTX.

Respected Contributor

1) Joel Furhman, MD: Eat to Live

2) Steve Masley, MD: 30 Day Heart Tune Up

3) Mayo Clinic Heart Healthy Cookbook

4) American Heart Association Cookbook

5) Betty Crocker Cookbook for Women; Rita Redberg, MD

There R so many books, resources! Best to U!

Respected Contributor
I'm glad you are alright! Thank you so much for posting your symptoms. I hope you continue on a path of good health.
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure if this was mentioned... but after a heart attack there are options for help. Many insurance programs team with hospitals to provide assistance.... 1. exercise programs 2. a nutritionist and or dietician 3. group meetings

A family member got this kind of help and is doing well.

Glad you are doing fine.

Super Contributor
On 10/2/2014 Katey1261 said:

Besides my Heart Attack I also have Type 2 Diabetes and High Cholesterol. I am confused as to what Cookbooks to think about purchasing. I also have to watch Salt. Doesn't this eliminate almost all foods? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Seriously, Katey, please read Dr. Esselstyn's book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. He was a cardiac surgeon at Cleveland Clinic and got tired of opening up people's chests and doing surgery that he believed could be prevented. He documents the success of this lifestyle change, including images of arteries that were cleared.As he says, changing your diet is not radical, cutting into your body is radical.

If you choose to implement this program, it is important that you eliminate all added fats, so no more olive oil, etc. plus all meat, fish, poultry, dairy. It is not easy, I admit that I have strayed by eating some added fats, but I have never been diagnosed with heart disease. My goal is to never be diagnosed with heart disease.

Honored Contributor

OP - are you not in a cardiac rehab program ? If you aren't then you should ask your cardiologist. They do exercise and they do classes to teach you about things like diet.

Respected Contributor
Katey, I'm very impressed with the Skinnytaste cookbook that I recently received from QVC. I haven't made anything yet, but looked through all the recipes and I can't wait to start cooking. Since it just got released, maybe you can find it locally and check out the recipes. In the meantime, broiled or baked fish is very good for you, and of course lots of fruit and vegetables. Glad you're still here with us! This was a good wake up call.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

I am really sorry that several of the posters including the OP had heart attacks but so glad they survived and have had wake-up calls! I was interested in reading their symptoms, as well, since heart disease runs in my paternal family. It never hurts to be reminded of heart attack symptoms. I am 51, run three days a week, and watch what I eat. No cholesterol, blood pressure, or weight problems, but I have to work at it, and it is not fun, since I love to cook and eat. That being said, I like what a poster wrote about cutting into a body being extreme...not developing good eating habits. Cookbooks that I have enjoyed using that are low in calories and fat are the Eat What You Love cookbooks. There are three of them now, and many of the recipes have become staples in my menu planning...they are that good!