Super Contributor
On 3/24/2014 chickenbutt said:
On 3/24/2014 stilltamn8r said:

I just can't really see the need to cook a Turkey frozen -

"OMG Its Thanksgiving and I forgot to thaw my turkey!!!"

Additionally, I like to brine mine, and though I have recently taken to dry-brining, which CAN be done while the turkey is frozen, I would still have it thawed to roast it- If you don't take out the neck and giblets, how do you make stock for your gravy?

I mean, its a nice option, but not one that I would likely use....

I'm with you. Some things just take planning. If somebody is to be so lazy as to not plan ahead if they have to thaw a turkey, well, yikes.

I have been wet-brining mine the last several years (MUST be thawed for that anyway) and then I also make a dry rub that I put on before sending him to the oven. But I cannot imagine a single scenario where I would consider putting a frozen turkey in the oven.

I'm thinking about letting the brining go. It's getting awfully difficult for me to be lifting and dealing with the raw turkey so I might just trying cleaning it up and doing my dry rub. Plus I put aromatics inside (celery, onion, fresh herbs and bay leaf, maybe a carrot - whatever). I'm wondering if it wouldn't still be really good without the overnight brining. I'm getting tired of doing that part.

The first turkey I did, some 40 years ago, I was an idiot. I either forgot to remove the two bags of stuff or I didn't know to do that (it was so long ago I cannot remember which), and it was part way through when I realized stuff was in both ends. d'oh! That was gross enough but I'd never do it on purpose.

CB, look up dry brining- it was originated by the chef at the Zuni Cafe, i believe- It is so simple and turns out great- you can start while the bird is not totally thawed and is so simple and takes up very little space ( my main complaint is having to put it in a large stock pot that fits NOWHERE!)

Respected Contributor

We did a roasting chicken this morning. The instructions on the package said to remove the giblets package and clean it thoroughly BEFORE roasting. Besides the giblets package, the gunk that came out of the INSIDE of the bird was awful; I won't describe it here. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Point is, it made the "partially cook it frozen, then remove the stuff" even more unbelievable. {#emotions_dlg.scared}