Respected Contributor

Not gonna happen, Food Network!

I downloaded an app from the Food Network to my tablet, thinking it would be useful to save recipes that I'd like to try. When I went to open it, they wanted me to agree to their TOS, in which I would agree to give them access to all my personal info, contacts, etc....including political and religions affiliations. Really? And what does that have to do with recipes? Frankly, my religious and political beliefs are none of their business!

Guess that's one app I won't be using and will remove from my device... {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Not gonna happen, Food Network!

Most app(s) want permission to access the information on your phone or tablet.

Respected Contributor

Yes, they do, but this one SPECIFIED that it "includes religious and political information." That's the first time I've ever seen that, and that's one app I will NOT be using. Data mining is getting out of hand; I cherish what privacy I have remaining!

Honored Contributor

It's for demographics so that they know who their core customers are and can target their advertising toward you. When they have this data, it's easier to pitch to advertisers.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

On 6/5/2014 VaBelle35 said:

It's for demographics so that they know who their core customers are and can target their advertising toward you. When they have this data, it's easier to pitch to advertisers.

That is what they say now. Guard your privacy FunkyHulaGirl!

Honored Contributor

Ha!

Once you put that stuff into your profile, it's out there. Even if you have it "hidden."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

It's not apps-ropriate.

Trusted Contributor

Most apps ask for your information.

Those surveys on Facebook like ""what celebrity are you like?"" are for data mining as well. So watch out.

Super Contributor

They all DO it, at least the Food Network TELLS you they are doing it!!!!
Trusted Contributor

Hey........I have a Samsung flip phone, do not text, and my tablet for email and ordering, and internet access only......for when I travel....Working in a prison, I can only be as safe as I can......I give out as little info as possible.......BE SAFE FHG..........{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

ETA: No facebook, No twitter, No selfies, No anyhting else, except for the boards here......AND no giving out my location......except for when I am allowing it for a particular location for a business from where I am...........AND, no APPS........Cool

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......